Worst most complicated piece you'll ever buy. Avoid at ALL costs

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

126 replies

yeah, after using it for 2 years with 3 speakers and being confined to the Sonos platform (can't even stream video sound through Sonos, and importing your own music library is hit or miss - I've given up), and seeing "Sonos was unable to connect" every 5 minutes or so, I can now honestly say that THIS SYSTEM IS AN OVERPRICED PIECE OF SHIT! Which is a shame, it could have so much potential, but hey. The market will decide, my bet is that they won't be around for more than 2 years or so and then slowly fade into the black hole of useless tech crap. Adios.
I personally never have to wait several seconds for any of my controllers to connect.  They are instantly usable.  There is obviously something wrong with your network, because latency between controller and Sonos devices is not a universal problem.
Userlevel 2
yeah, after using it for 2 years with 3 speakers and being confined to the Sonos platform (can't even stream video sound through Sonos, and importing your own music library is hit or miss - I've given up), and seeing "Sonos was unable to connect" every 5 minutes or so, I can now honestly say that THIS SYSTEM IS AN OVERPRICED PIECE OF SHIT! Which is a shame, it could have so much potential, but hey. The market will decide, my bet is that they won't be around for more than 2 years or so and then slowly fade into the black hole of useless tech crap. Adios.
The biggest problem I ever had was try to use all this with the crapbag Comcast Arris modem/router combo. Once I bought a real router things have been flawless.
@ Champion

now I'm curious because I'm not the only one all the people I know who have sonos with a cr200 controller have this problem phones and tablets don't have those issues

it never was a problem till a certain update. all the controllers stand in rooms where the usually not daily  used and the first time you pick them up that day the controller cant connect to the network, wait 10 seconds and it will begin to play 

the dhcp server is a windows 2003 server that never goes to sleep mode all server are equipped with SSD and 128GB memory  servers and switch (catalyst 6500 from cisco) all are connected with fiber optics accept the bridge from sonos old fashion cable the nas with the music is a RackStation RS10613xs+ from synology also with 10 SSD and goes never in sleep mode because its used as a image storage for the failover server.

my network is lighting fast and not the standard home network like the rest of my friends and still we experience the same issues  
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Love my Sonos!  I now have Playbar, sub, Play 5 X2, Play 3 X2 and Play 1 X2!  System works great and has changed the way we listen to music and watch TV!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Maybe the teenager is a good idea!  I thought it was simple to set up but maybe not for all?
Userlevel 3
I'm guessing Ray has other issues besides getting two speakers to work.

Ray, that is not very polite. Chris was just trying to point out some of the technical marvels that Sonos offer.

If you are having problems you could try asking in a civilized manner instead of coming here to insult people.

The issues I was originally referring to do not require an engineer.
I'm guessing Ray has other issues besides getting two speakers to work.

@Ray Foster,

Do you have some type of socialization problem that you must berate and insult anyone who tries to help you?  Seek professional help.
Agree 100% with the original post, have had this for about 2 years, it is the worst product I have purchased, it has become a running joke with my friends how poor it is.  It is constantly failing to recognise the systme exists, when it does decide it exists, it then fails to connect with itunes, when it connects with itunes it all needs to be updated, when it finally finishes the updates it plays about 30 secs of each track and moves on to next.

Then sometimes it just works.  In a way this is the most frustrating thing because then I get suckered in to the idea that it will work.

I should have put it on ebay years ago it is total rubbish.  It obviously works for some people but there should not be a product that fails spectacularly for individual consumers.
I can set up a Play 1 on my wireless network, however, get to the point where it says an update is required, and says "There was an update problem".  No matter how many times I try, it says "Try Again".  

Thinking it was a bad wifi connection, I have tried hardwiring it into the router.  My internet works fine.

Unless the above step is successfully completed, the unit is a deadweight.

Talking about Deadweight, I have two ZP90's both of which won't function, after ~2 years.  I thought SONOS was doing a lot better, so went out and bought this Play 1.

Thanks.  Don't mean to hijack the thread, and can start a new one if required.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You should call sonos especially with your other units most likely needing a manual update because the firmware is too old for an auto update.
Thanks, appreciate the response.  The ZP100s are dead, and not connected.  It has been confirmed that the units don't work and that I need to send it in.

I am trying to just get the Play1 (bought today) going.  Hardwired into a router.  Have set aside the Bridge I bought for now.  I have contacted Customer support, sent screen shots.  Still waiting to hear back.
Somehow, the update to the firmware of the Play1 went through.  Once I was over that hurdle, the next thing to tackle was a Router & SONOS channel conflict.  Not 100% sure if that was an issue, but after changing channels on the Router, the Internet Radio started working.  The system is now able to access all of the music on a Hard Disk that is connected to my router.

Working like it is supposed to after 24 hours of frustration.  Hopefully, I get more life out of this unit than the 2 dead ZP100s that stopped working after ~2 years.  To be fair SONOS issued an RMA for repair, unfortunately, it is quite an effort to ship, and import back.

SONOS reminds me of golf.  Works enough to want you to keep trying.... frustrating enough that you give up.  Hazards include an update from the IOS, or even a SONOS update or some ISP change and your finely balanced system comes crashing down.  Both are expensive and have haters and addicts.

If anyone has a choice of borrowing a small system for trial (or no hassle returns) before actually buying, please do so before making the plunge.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I've had mine for a couple of years now ( connect , play 3 and 2 play 1's ) great at first but now all sorts of problems ... BBC listen again shows are no longer available , radio stations very hit and miss and Spotify is always going wrong !
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Bbc issue is a bbc issue not sonos. Sonos has made statements they are researching what they can do regarding bbc changes that are effecting all streaming devices.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've never had any trouble but my system is very small in fact at the moment just a play 1, before adding any more speakers I will look at the LG music flow system, looks more flexible.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Why oh why don't sonos just add bbc iPlayer radio to the interface like they have Spotify etc !??
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Why oh why don't sonos just add bbc iPlayer radio to the interface like they have Spotify etc !??
Richard, I have to pay for a TV license that funds all BBC services, why should other countries outside the UK have access to a service they have not paid into.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I've had mine for a couple of years now ( connect , play 3 and 2 play 1's ) great at first but now all sorts of problems ... BBC listen again shows are no longer available , radio stations very hit and miss and Spotify is always going wrong !
Direct your annoyance at the BBC
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I've never had any trouble but my system is very small in fact at the moment just a play 1, before adding any more speakers I will look at the LG music flow system, looks more flexible.
More flexible until a new audio format like Dolby Atmos is implemented by TV manufacturers and you snazzy new LG flow doesn't support it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
They already can its called the internet ! I also pay my TV licence and wish to access bbc content via my sonos ....
Userlevel 1
Badge
Really why would that be ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
If the BBC hadn't changed their services the other day we wouldn't be having this conversation, have you vented your frustration at the BBC why via TuneIn radio on the sonos controller you are having issues all no longer can get BBC radio.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
This problems has been dragging on for years ( just search problems accessing bbc content etc ) my gripe with sonos is i was sold a system that promised to deliver all radio content including bbc but simply does not . I assumed there would be bbc I radio integrated into sonos to access such content just like there is with others like ( Spotify , Google music etc ) The tune in service is flaky at best, and completely unstable a lot of the time . Yes I have complained to tune in and bbc but it wasn't them that sold me a system that doesn't do what it promised to do.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Because as manufacturers develope new products they decide what features and functions their new product will have and although they might be aware of emerging technologies like Dolby Atmos they may choose for that new device not to include Dolby Atmos. So like the PlayBar when it first came out sonos made the decision not to include or support for argument sake Dolby True Stereo, now twelve months down the road you buy a new TV that passes all the latest Dolby formats but your PlayBar can't process some of them. If we all waitied for the latest tech to support the latest amazing resolution and audio then we would be waiting a long time as technology is changing and evolving on a daily basis. Let's look a 4K - obsolete 8K will be out soon, so that 3 grand I spend less than 6 months ago on a Panasonic 58" 4K TV was a waste of money - was it? Should I have waited for 8K to come out and a PlayBar that supports Dolby Atmos via HDMI?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Richard believe it or not I'm on your side and sonos I do believe have been working with TuneIn to try and resolve this issue. Don't quote me on that!