Answered

Wireless speakers

• 9 December 2016
  • 8 replies

I just got my Play1 & Play3. How long do they need to stay plugged in before I can use them wireless?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 9 December 2016, 10:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

You can use them that way as soon as they boot up after powering on, and you follow the set up steps. There is no battery in them that takes time to charge.
I'm confused. I plugged it in to the outlet originally to set it up. Now I've unplugged them & no music. What am I missing? The app does not recognize the speakers when unplugged from the power source.
The speakers need mains power to work - there is no built in battery of the kind that many bluetooth speakers have.

No mains power, no music. Leave them plugged in, with the mains power on. Only then will they work.
Hmm..thank you. So technically these are really not wireless?
Ah, I see the confusion. Wireless in the context of radios means you don't need a wire to carry the source signal. As in the radios a hundred years ago that received broadcasts wirelessly from radio stations, unlike telegraphy that needed a wire to carry the message, but wireless still needed mains power by wiring the radios to the mains sockets.

The same terminology has been carried forward and wireless only means no wires to carry music signals. So technically a wireless speaker may still need wires for mains power; but a layman would be entitled to ask the question you are posing, and in that sense, these are not wireless speakers.
Sonos speakers are wireless. They are not cordless.

My vacuum cleaner is cordless, but not wireless. I cannot get it to play music at all
Lol! Yes I was thinking wireless in terms of no cords. I figured it out. Still love them though! Thanks for the help. If you can get your vacuum cleaner to play music I'd love to hear that
Lol! Yes I was thinking wireless in terms of no cords. I figured it out. Still love them though! Thanks for the help. If you can get your vacuum cleaner to play music I'd love to hear thatAs a music player it really sucks. Glad you are still happy. 🙂