Skip to main content
When friends comment on them and ask what do I think, and would I recomend them I invariably answer.

The problem is with Sonos attitude to customers, You cannot add new speakers without being a registered user, the apps insist on an update usually at an inconvenient time, Sonos no longer allow those of us using PC's to have the same options as smartphones and recently I have started receiving emails via the smartphone app advertising products ( yes I know they can be switched off) but I did not buy the system for it to be used to pester me.

And finally you may have to install cables to many of your speakers as the wireless system (in my case at least) was not stable.

It is a pity as the sound is great
I find Sonos great. One of my brothers, who has huge music collection, is moving over over to Sonos having listened to my setup a few times. He just got a connect to drive his Zeplins(?) After having bought some Sonos Ones. He hasn't mentioned any issues so far.
When friends comment on them and ask what do I think, and would I recomend them I invariably answer.

The problem is with Sonos attitude to customers, You cannot add new speakers without being a registered user, the apps insist on an update usually at an inconvenient time, Sonos no longer allow those of us using PC's to have the same options as smartphones and recently I have started receiving emails via the smartphone app advertising products ( yes I know they can be switched off) but I did not buy the system for it to be used to pester me.

And finally you may have to install cables to many of your speakers as the wireless system (in my case at least) was not stable.

It is a pity as the sound is great

How do you switch off the really annoying spam e-mails?
How do you switch off the really annoying spam e-mails?

Et voilà.
Perfect thanks. I found something like that on the mobile app but it didn't seem like I could deselect it there.
I think Sonos is pretty hard to recommend to anyone in the UK beause it lacks an iPlayer app. Plus, you can't play audio from your computer on them. I think they are just too inflexible and limited to recommend to anyone unless that person really knows what they are getting.
Since Sonos has published their API for any partner to integrate with, it's hard to fault Sonos in this case. I think you might want to look more seriously at the BBC for not integrating. Sonos still has their arms wide open for anyone to join in.
Since Sonos has published their API for any partner to integrate with, it's hard to fault Sonos in this case. I think you might want to look more seriously at the BBC for not integrating. Sonos still has their arms wide open for anyone to join in.

Unfortunately, the poster you are replying to refuses to believe this has anything to do with the BBC. He feels Sonos should do it unilaterally, like some guy in his basement did with Squeezebox. This ignores the fact that the BBC will sue the pants off a billion dollar company, but can't be bothered suing a guy in his basement. Despite Sonos correcting him, and being shown the BBC's policy on unauthorized distribution of content, he stubbornly insists this is all on Sonos.
I think Sonos is pretty hard to recommend to anyone in the UK beause it lacks an iPlayer app. Plus, you can't play audio from your computer on them. I think they are just too inflexible and limited to recommend to anyone unless that person really knows what they are getting.I think you should qualify that as not recommending to anyone in the UK for whom BBC iPlayer Radio (now 'BBC Sounds') really matters (count out me and most of my friends and family). Oh and of course there are those who can use Airplay 2 to play it through Sonos, or those who can use a line-in, with or without a Bluetooth receiver. That leaves quite a few people to whom you could still recommend Sonos.

Sonos was designed as a multiroom hifi system, not a computer speaker. If someone was looking for a computer speaker I wouldn't recommend Sonos either.
I don't really find myself recommending Sonos that much. Perhaps the main reason is the cost of owning a Sonos system, and recommending it can sometimes come off as pretentious. If a friend I know doesn't currently have nice speakers, or doesn't look like Sonos is something they typically would fit into their budget, I'm not going to proactively recommend it. The same goes for someone who seems to be below average in understanding/using tech. As an example, if someone doesn't really understand how to switch inputs on a TV, then Sonos isn't a good idea for them. Then there is the person who really doesn't appreciate quality audio, and is pretty happy with an echo. It's like recommending a fine wine to someone who usually drinks cheap beer.

As far as positives and drawbacks to the system, I try not to assume their priorities are the same as mine. Calling the lack of PC setup features a drawback to someone who doesn't even own a PC, doesn't make any sense, and you aren't doing them a favor. At the same time, calling Alexa integration a positive to someone who sees voice integration as a security concern, doesn't make any sense either. There are those that that are locked into 'old tech' and don't really understand how Sonos, something different, could be better. To them, it's useless if it doesn't have bluetooth, never realizing that the Sonos wifi network meets their personal needs better than Bluetooth.
I can't say I really recommend it as opposed to describing it and letting them form their own opinion over whether or not they want it. Had a camping buddy really interested last summer because he loved what I do with mine in my RV. He went and bought a Connect and a couple of Play:1s but when he went to set it up and it required the internet, he took it right back. He's not connected at all, and still uses a flip phone, which is fine for his emails. I offered to help him set it up with my internet connection, but when he couldn't just use his laptop to add components, that was that. There is no flip phone app.