Question

Using sonos speakers in 2 different locations

• 17 December 2016
  • 6 replies

I use sonos at work but want to bring them home for parties. I first connected at home and both play 1 I own worked fine. Then I connected to work and they worked fine. But when I bring them back home only one connects. If I reset it the other one connects but I can't get both to connect. Wireless is the same. Please help. I've tried over an hour with repetition, connecting via ethernet, shutting everything down and restarting it. Nothing works!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
First - are you using them at times with one wired (Sonosnet). I'm going to respond below assuming you always use them wireless only.

What I would do is everytime you switch locations hook one to your router - then go to settings, advanced, wifi setup and chose the wifi your using. Then you can disconnect all from router.

Preferred would be always hook one to your router and use Sonosnet. The one hooked to router creates Sonosnet the other one hooks to so its always connecting with the exact same wireless method.

IF this doesn't help explain more what you do when you go to each location.
feha,

Do you have any other SONOS players at either location?
I cant keep a speaker hooked to the router because its buried in the basement. Still having issues spent 2+ hours on this its really frustrating. Even setting up a whole new system each time wont work. The speaker isnt even creating a sonos wireless account. There should be a way to do this without such headache.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I cant keep a speaker hooked to the router because its buried in the basement. Still having issues spent 2+ hours on this its really frustrating. Even setting up a whole new system each time wont work. The speaker isnt even creating a sonos wireless account. There should be a way to do this without such headache.

Read Chris's response - No need to keep Play connected to router AFTER you have it set up. But if you have no, or bad, Wi-Fi in the Basement you will need to do something else anyway
ok I'll try that next time I'm at the other location. Unfortunately, I left work for the week for the holiday without disconnecting so this time around that won't help. To answer your question, I have 2 sonos play 1s. Both would come and go to get full sound.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You could get a boost or cheap bridge on eBay and always connect it to router at location you are at and you will be in great shape.