Truly wireless - Battery Powered PLAY unit

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

I really like both ideas (Play:4 and battery packs)
Clarification on why this is popular when other ideas clearly more popular are already tossed out as not planned?
I would would like to see a rechargeable model that I can take out to the pool. Also love to see waterproof models
Badge
Would love to have a battery operated Play 1 that I could take out to the hot tub or patio with me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Would love to have a battery operated Play 1 that I could take out to the hot tub or patio with me.
Hi Tom, have a look at my idea for a battery pack for the Play 1. https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/play-1-battery-pack
Like Michael, I love my sonos system but I'm irritated by its limitation of being the only wireless speaker maker that lacks a speaker that doesn't require wires. Seeing how much demand there is for it and how simple it is to do (I did manage to make my own but it was quite ugly), I just don't understand why you haven't made one. Can you imagine Samsung sitting around two years after the iphone launch and saying "we're considering making a smartphone". Yes. That's you right now.
I'm heavily invested in Sonos but the stuff has a good resale value as well. I REALLY want a battery powered unit to carry outside with me without disrupting the music as I move from one chore to the next. I WILL have this sometime this summer. If Sonos doesn't want to provide it, I'll just go with a company who will. It will cost me more to do so but seriously - if music wasn't important enough to me to blow money on, I wouldn't have bought Sonos in the first place. I know you don't care since you already sold me these units, but as people do as I plan to, there will be more on the used market which will push the prices down and reduce demand for your new units.
And that's where you're headed without a battery powered unit. Personally, if I owned stock in your company, I would be selling right now because if you're still at the "considering" stage, you've already missed the boat.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos have criticized Denon for plagiarism and its lack of innovation but this is most definitely innovation in their Heos range
http://v2.twice.com/news/speakers/denon-expands-heos-wireless-multiroom-lineup/57080

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-16832-denon-heos-1-wireless-speaker-denon-heos-gopack-offer-pre-order-for...

Time for Sonos to step up
Clarification on why this is popular when other ideas clearly more popular are already tossed out as not planned?
A battery unit would be great to take in the bathroom, in the garage when doing chores or in the back yard
Well, sent a request to customer support for this, and, after 3 years, the answer is: I wish I had better news but at this time we have no announcements to make on a battery powered speaker. We are always interested in what our customers have to say about our products, and so to make it easier to track the support our customers give these ideas we have a feature request section on our website. Sonos customers can add their support towards these ideas, and the more people who put their support towards them the more likely they are to be implemented sooner. I'm thinking, after 3 years, and their direct competitor putting out this exact item, we shouldn't plan on seeing this. It's a real shame. I think Sonos has a great product, but the truly wireless option is a deal-breaker for me. I haven't invested in either system yet, so I have no vested interest in Sonos yet. Looks like Denon is getting my business. Sorry, Sonos. I think you're letting this slip through your fingers. And over a fairly simple feature.
Badge
Difficult to understand why this still doesn't exist. Sonos must be losing a lot of potential revenue!  I need a battery operated speaker for the bathroom - I'm going to have to buy a Creative Roar now, whereas ideally I would have purchased a Sonos unit to mesh with the rest of the Sonos system....
I cannot believe there is not a portable speaker available, maybe Sonos could allow some other manufacturer to sell a compatible rechargeable unit, then I wouldn't have to think about scrapping my Play 5, 2 x Play 3 and Connect to buy a Bose system say to get a portable option!!
Well, sent a request to customer support for this, and, after 3 years, the answer is: I wish I had better news but at this time we have no announcements to make on a battery powered speaker. We are always interested in what our customers have to say about our products, and so to make it easier to track the support our customers give these ideas we have a feature request section on our website. Sonos customers can add their support towards these ideas, and the more people who put their support towards them the more likely they are to be implemented sooner. I'm thinking, after 3 years, and their direct competitor putting out this exact item, we shouldn't plan on seeing this. It's a real shame. I think Sonos has a great product, but the truly wireless option is a deal-breaker for me. I haven't invested in either system yet, so I have no vested interest in Sonos yet. Looks like Denon is getting my business. Sorry, Sonos. I think you're letting this slip through your fingers. And over a fairly simple feature.
The last song the Play 1 played was 'Babe i'm gonna leave you', and I went straight to bed with my new lover http://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplaya2#at-a-glance
heck, how difficult could it be? Cars drive for miles on batteries these days, SONOS gotta get their act together, or there'll be lots of 2nd hand SONOS units for sale. Remember KODAK? "Digital photos? No we'll stick with yesteryears technology".
Yes I need one for our boat so we can rest the 2 batteries on our old 1973 boat. Have wifi and Rick and roll. Cmon Sonas. Some other company is going to make the millions to give us wifi and rechargeable batteries. But love sound of my sonas
Yes waterproof as well. Counting on you Sonas. Don't let us down
While this request is similar to several of the battery powered Play 1 options, I'm more interested in a weather resistant version of the Play 3 or Play 5 for mounting outside on my patios. They would be under the roof overhang but still exposed to humidity and heat and cold so they would likely need to be more than an indoor unit. Currently I use older Cambridge Soundworks outdoor speakers wired to a Connect Amp but have other locations where I want to add speakers. Running a power plug is way easier than speaker wire back to an indoor location for another Connect Amp. Produce a weather resistant version and my bet is they'll be a top seller!
Better to use a connect:AMP indoors and connect a pair of outdoor speakers? I did it this way, but still want a Play:1-battery to carry around.
Userlevel 2
Yes, I too support a battery powered ( &/or backup) speaker which is water proof (IPX7 waterproof standard), to be use outside.  

This unit should have either 110 AC volt or battery operational function.  This unit should also serve as a unit that permits continuous use even though one may have experienced a power outage when using the alarm function.  

As an aside,  sonos should consider an alarm clock with digital display with battery backup as a sister to this dual 110 volt / battery powered unit
Love Sonos.. But considering to change to this for a portable solution:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kien-the-first-flexible-sound-system#/story

Come on Sonos.. It is just a battery!!! And this request is 3 years old..
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Play:1 with battery still wouldn't be very portable though with lack of input. Not like it can replace my Bose Bluetooth speaker I take on trips with me currently.
I just wish they made a water-proof outdoor speaker/docking solution. May I suggest L-ion batteries that are charged using a proven induction technology, that I can have the base and speaker permanently out on the patio. I recommend the induction charged battery solution on a water proof speaker so you can pickup and move the charged unit near a pool/hot tub/or wash the car and still hear the music with out fear of electrocution. if they can do waterproof in these I'm sure you guys can come up with something. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acoustic-audio-acoustic-audio-rs6gg-grey-500w-indoor-outdoor-patio-rock-speaker-pair-rs6gg-pr-gray/1308786962.p?id=mp1308786962&skuId=1308786962
so, this Thread is now 3 years old! Absolutely nothing happened.

Sonos keeps painting its Play:1 in 3456 colors but refuses any bit of information regarding a battery powerde speaker (or whatever people asked for, in this thread).

Denon with its heos systems is already way beyond. The took their Play:1 competitor and allow you to simply connect a battery pack to the bottom. That's it.

Why is Sonos keeping to ignore their customers? Is it too much money? Going out of business or simply their nose up in the sky?

regards
Play:1 with battery still wouldn't be very portable though with lack of input. Not like it can replace my Bose Bluetooth speaker I take on trips with me currently.

thats why they should clone the Bose device an implant the Sonos Chip. Done.
Yes it's sad that I have to recommend my UE boom for travel when I would prefer to take part of my Sonos system travelling. A battery, a line input, blue tooth, weather proofing are the winning features here. Also a DAB radio would be nice for where I find myself without an internet connection or there are time zone differences to avoid.
Badge
Is there an official answer on this topic? Any plan from SONOS? No hardware since the PLAY:1...
There won't be an answer before an official product announcement, Sonos NEVER give any indication as to what they're working on, never have, never will (and in fact most companies don't), about time people got used to that.

They did announce that there would be no new hardware in 2014, and there has been the boost this year, which isn't majorly exciting I know. It does appear something is coming though, with the recent fcc posting that's appeared.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Denon has added exactly what everyone wants to their range, the Heos 1 with a twist off base plate that has a battery. The Heos 1 is also splash-proof so will work in the garden or bathroom. I think this is what everyone is looking for, I certainly am. However, to change systems now that I have five Sonos units will be costly.

Denon also seem to think this attracts a premium, as the speaker is £199 and the base plate £80.

If the Play:1 transformer is clever enough, then a similar base plate could be built for it. I am assuming it is the same unit the world over and steps down the mains voltage from 240 or 120 to 24V DC. Could a Play 1 be "updated" easily to accomodate a 24V input or would you need to buy a new unit?