Skip to main content
planning on putting one of my Play1's in this box so I can keep it outside and make it "some what secure" from tampering (or "borrowing"). Only opening right now would be to snake the power cord. Bolting this to a shelf that is on the patio. Direct sunlight will be on this for a few hours each day. Naturally when playing media, door will be open, but otherwise, would expect door to be closed and locked. Should I expect that idle heat generation may be a problem? Outdoor temps here rarely get above 85 during direct sunlight hours (patio gets shade early in the day). It would be possible to drill vent holes in the back, but I would prefer to be as sealed as possible. Play1 will be brought indoors during winter and anytime I'll be away from home for a long period of time (typically a week).

this is what I ended up with
You could toss in a cheap thermometer with a min/max memory or for a few bucks more get a wireless one and track what is happening in there. If it is too hot then add vents.

I like these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DNIIOS/
I would drill holes on the sides and the bottom to provide ventilation and drainage. The unit does generate heat and being too enclosed may cause it to overheat.