Skip to main content

Hi. Every time ‘without fail’ I go onto the sonos app I get a different speaker dropped from my setup. Then sometimes it will not connect to anything. Then sometimes it takes about 30seconds then I’m in with all 3 speakers connected. This has only recently started happening and used to work absolutely fine, even with the S2 app. There is nothing wrong with the power connection to the sonos products, nothing wrong with the internet connection and I’ve even completely reconnected every speaker after rebooting the router.

Is anybody else getting this issue?. It’s so frustrating and am running out of ideas. I’ve even changed the wifi router channel to be on the suggested 1 or 6 (2ghz). Still nothing. 

Thanks 

Ross

HI @Rossy2311,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. We appreciate all your effort and time in trying to resolve the issue. To help you out with this, I'll be requesting from you in submitting a diagnostic report to find out what’s causing it. Please don't forget to include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you. 

Yes I am!

it’s standard for Sonos, hold tight to be told it’s your WiFi or interference from other items in your home. Rest assured they will blame everything but their equipment 

Probably, because in the great majority of cases, it is! There are a very small number of cases that it is actually an issue with Sonos’ software or hardware. 

I know you’re right, but I still maintain that Sonos need to be more honest and transparent with their marketing, or at the very least offer real support and not to abdicate their responsibility to this forum. The joy is they act as moderators but stay out of resolving their client’s  issues. I use a cuss word on here and they’re all over it, tell the truth and vent your spleen politely and they ignore you. 
they are not a mom and pop organisation and I feel they have a moral obligation to do more. 
anyone heard from John B lately, I’m starting to worry about him?

HI @Rossy2311,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. We appreciate all your effort and time in trying to resolve the issue. To help you out with this, I'll be requesting from you in submitting a diagnostic report to find out what’s causing it. Please don't forget to include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you. 

Hi Rowena,

I have submitted a diagnostics report as requested the confirmation number is 941813066. I hope this helps. 

Thanks,

Ross 

HI @Rossy2311

Thanks for your response and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me help you out with this.

Upon checking the report, all your Sonos speakers are online, and the reason that your Sonos speaker is dropping off the Sonos app because of your current network setup. I can see 2 routers - TP-Link and BSky. Are these both WiFi routers with the same WiFi network names? Are you using a Mesh Network? 

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you. 

1. Make sure that your Sonos will connect to your main router.
  2. Change the SSID or WiFi name of your other WiFi router. Sonos will only connect to the recognized network. 
  3. If you want to extend your home WiFi to use Sonos in a wireless setup, we recommend using a WiFi mesh router to do so. 
    • The suggested setup for Mesh Networks is Sonosnet. This prevents the Sonos players from jumping from 1 access point to another.
  4. Wire one of your speakers to your router via ethernet cable.
    • SonosNet is recommended to broadcast the same wireless signal to your other speakers.
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit another diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information. If you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.  

Hi Rowena, 

I have tried changing the the SSID and password of the tp-link. This worked briefly but has now decided to drop 2 of the sonos products. I have turned off the Tp-link all together and surprise surprise no change. All the to-link is is a range extender so that I can get an Ethernet connection to my sky. I have even disabled the wifi on it so it cannot interfere.

I have connected the one speaker to the router via Ethernet and now only that speaker works when I turn off the the tp-link but then drops out and picks up the other two speakers when I turn it back on again.

I struggle to understand why I should need a mesh network sonosnet to run three sonos products off one router. I’m not sure even what a mesh network even is. 

This whole experience has really put me off the sonos products range, and I certainly won’t be investing in the cinema surround setup like originally planed. It shouldn’t be this hard to listen to music through a speaker! It’s so unreliable...

Here’s another diagnostics test number. 2049719921

Hi @Rossy2311,

Thanks for your response and for updating us. We appreciate all your effort in working with us to address your concern and sorry to hear that some of your Sonos speakers are dropping off the network. What you feel is understandable.

I can see that all your speakers are online. Upon checking the diagnostic, only the kitchen is showing, and it’s connected to your BSky via WiFi and I don’t see your TP-Link, maybe because it’s currently unplugged? Landing and Family room speakers possibly connected to one of your extenders. Which speaker did you wire to your router?

To further help you on this, I would recommend reaching out to our phone support team with your full network setup and include the make and model of each network device to look it up and provide the best network setup that will work for you. Please let us know if you need help with any other information, we're here to assist you.