Skip to main content

I don’t see much info here on room size and sound proofing for Sonos. 
I’m sure I’ve mentioned this here before. Our audio/video room is approximately 30’x20’. The floor is ceramic tile. I have all of my audio (stereo) & video set up on the back wall which pretty much takes up most of the 20’ side. My Sonos 5.1 (Ones/PlayBase/Sub) is included. I have new Sonos Fives coming this week. They will replace my Ones for surrounds. The Sonos sounds good with the Ones but I’m expecting the Fives to sound much more than the Ones. Right now my 5.1 isn’t true 5.1 as the Ones are alongside my Sony Bravia 75” tv so they are facing forward. I want to put the Fives on the sides of my sofa. I don’t have floor stands for the Fives yet. They will be facing forward until I can purchase Flexson stands. I feel the room size is perfect for watching tv and listening to audio. Can I make the sound better by place my Sub on a rubber mat or carpet square? Also if I add a rug underneath the coffee table would that absorb some of the sounds? I don’t want to cover all or most of the ceramic tiles. I’m not sure how the Flexson stand base is, but would I need to place carpet square or rubber mat on the floor to protect the tiles? 

I’m not familiar with the Flexson’s. 

I suspect your overall issue is that the room is too “live”. Placing small pads under the stands and SUB will not help much. Adding rugs and a pad will help. I recommend planning on the largest rug that you think that you could tolerate under the coffee table, then increase its’ size. If the room includes drapes, closing the drapes will help. A dense liner behind the drapes will help. Also, hanging a tapestry (with a nice, dense pad behind) will help too. You can experiment with this by bringing blankets and pillows into the room. This will give a hint about the improvement that acoustic treatment can provide.

The Flexson stands come with both rubber feet, or spikes, and you choose which you want to use.

I certainly concur with @buzz , it does seem like your room is overly ‘live’. 

The Flexson stands come with both rubber feet, or spikes, and you choose which you want to use.

I certainly concur with @buzz , it does seem like your room is overly ‘live’. 

Yes the room is live, but it doesn’t sound bad when I turn up the volume. Of course I use Trueplay.