Question

Sonos Sub Placement

• 31 October 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
Since I am lacking space, could I put a Sonos Sub, right behind my Play5 (gen 1)?
How will it sound?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Can't it be placed on the floor below the play 5?
Userlevel 7
Even though sound waves from a Sub are non-directional placing it Directly Behind your Play 5 (gen1) may influence the Play 5 sound. However other factors come into play such as:

- Height of the Play 5 above the sub
- Is the sub against a wall thus amplifying the low-end
- Is the room hard or soft
- Is the sub in such close proximity to the Play 5 that it may cause additional movement of the Play 5 speaker diaphragms.

My recommendation has always been to place a sub:

- At a minimum distance of at least 3ft from the main speaker(s).
- On an opposite wall
- Behind a chair or sofa
- In a corner
- If closer than 3 Ft place the sub and main speaker(s) on the same plane.
- With the Play 5 I'd also recommend a mount height of at least 28 inches (71cm)

Experiment with placement and use Trueplay to determine if it has any effect to improve the sound if unwanted anomalies are heard. Please post back with your findings. Good Luck!

- On an opposite wall

I found lack of integration of the Sub with the main speakers for music in these kind of places for the Sub; my best results have been with the Sub between the two speakers, as close to the centre as feasible, but an exact centre placement not essential.

I suspect that placement is less of an issue for movies, and even an opposite wall placement won't be a problem.
Userlevel 7
my best results have been with the Sub between the two speakers, as close to the centre as feasible, but an exact centre placement not essential.

@Kumar
I've seen center placement of Sub in purist environments were music is the only medium and I agree that's the perfect balance in most instances. However, with most having their speaker system perform double duty for music and HT placing the sub center is a bit tricky given that the Center speaker in HT occupies that coveted spot.

As the OP states they have limited space therefore they're going to have to get creative with placement options. However, I admit I'm a bit perplexed :? as to how having a single Play 5 and a sub causes the placement challenges the OP is presenting.

@User573051
If I had to make a definitive recommendation...I say to stack the components: Play 5 @ 28 inches (71cm) above floor level and the sub below on the same plane or offset to left or right - again on the same plane. Sub placement can be Broadside or Stem to Stern depending upon space.
However, with most having their speaker system perform double duty for music and HT placing the sub center is a bit tricky given that the Center speaker in HT occupies that coveted spot.

As the OP states they have limited space therefore they're going to have to get creative with placement options. However, I admit I'm a bit perplexed :? as to how having a single Play 5 and a sub causes the placement challenges the OP is presenting.

I take your point; which is also why I don't mix the two. It works for me because my music listening tends to be in the social areas where the TV does not find a place.

As to the OP, I very much doubt he is using his kit for TV, and the other thing to say to him would be to experiment and find out what works best. It is easy to do with Sonos Subs, and is the best way to find out what works best given the room/constraints.
Userlevel 7
As to the OP, I very much doubt he is using his kit for TV, and the other thing to say to him would be to experiment and find out what works best. It is easy to do with Sonos Subs, and is the best way to find out what works best given the room/constraints.

@Kumar
Agreed.
The sub I use mostly for TV lives underneath the couch....it really packs the punch when there's an explosion 🙂
Lol. Probably even better if you are sitting on the couch!