Sonos Roam - Battery drain

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

278 replies

After disabling almost everything (Google assistant, trueplay or whatever it's called, etc) the standby time is not nearly as terrible. Haven't charged it since I woke up and have played music intermittently and it's at around 88 percent. If it can last 3-4 days with this activity, I think this will be fine.

My Roam loses all battery power in one week when fully off. That is absurd! 10 hours of use? Never!

This is very unlikely. If the Roam is shut off completely, you should only be losing 1%-2% of battery charge per day. You are probably putting the Roam to sleep/standby mode which allows the battery to continue to drain when not in use and for the Roam to wake up anytime you access the Sonos app. Shut off the Roam completely by pressing and holding down the power button for 5 seconds until you hear a chime.

I also find that it drains when fully turned off. 

The battery drains so quick without even being used. I am still under warranty. Can I return it ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The battery drains so quick without even being used. I am still under warranty. Can I return it ?

Probably. 

But have you tried tuning it off fully?  You have to press the power button for over 8 seconds but then it turns off and the battery drain is very low.

Other than that get a Qi charging base and store the Roam on that to have continuous trickle charge?

Same here. Disappointing.

Badge +2

returning.

I have had it charging this morning at 730 AM and at 520 PM it's at 82 percent. I'm crossing fingers 12 hours of charge will give me 100 percent. Using the base charger as Costco kit doesn't come with the charge cable.

Basically charge a day before the day I need to use it.

Not as expected at all.

What charger are you using? What voltage, what amperage? Is it Qi, or directly connected?

Badge +2

The Sonos triangle base chrarger.

I don't have the stock Sonos cable charger as this was a Costco special including the triangle base only no cables. 

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the specifics. Is that a QI charger, or a USB direct connect? Again, what’s the voltage and amperage listed on it?

Badge +2

No idea, look on Sonos site it's the charger they sell it's sonos brand. Dude_ If you work for Sonos you should know your products, if not no biggie, you'll find it.

Doesn't matter though it's ridiculously slow.

I put 1 song on at 88 percent stopped the song half way now its at 86 percent.

It won't be at 100 percent charge after 12 hours on it.

I have a move on order but if it's the same I'm returning too.

Dude, do you see a “Sonos employee” next to my name? I’m just another user like you, trying to help. 

But I guess you’d prefer not to get help from other users, so I’d recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, so you can talk to an actual Sonos employee.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge +2

Here's the charger. I would NOT get..

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/roam-wireless-charger.html

Here's the charger. I would NOT get..

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/roam-wireless-charger.html

Did you try this charger power adapter with the USB-C cable that comes with the Roam instead of the Qi pad? - it should charge much quicker with the cable as the Qi pad is only 5w, whereas the USB-C will charge at more than twice that rate, which should make quite a difference.

Badge +2

The cable is permanently attached to the pad.

The Costco deal does not come with a cable. 

I think the pad sez 10 and takes 2 hour to 50 percent.

The cable is permanently attached to the pad.

The Costco deal does not come with a cable. 

I think the pad sez 10 and takes 2 hour to 50 percent.

I think there’s ‘perhaps’ a bit of a misunderstanding here, It’s the power-supply end I mean, assuming it’s the same charger as the one sold on the Sonos website? - if you unplug the pad and it’s attached cable and just use the power adapter with the ‘angled’ USB-C cable that came with your Roam. That should charge it faster. Hope that assists.👍

Badge +2

Ok thanks everyone I am returning and maybe replace and try again.

But as stated a couple times, this deal at Costco only came with the wireless pad and does not separate from the pad. It's the exact wireless cable they sell on Sonos site.

I'll update this after I replace. I stopped charging at 91 percent after 11 hours on the triangle base. Turned off and trusting Costco will come through as they usually do with returns. 

Ok thanks everyone I am returning and maybe replace and try again.

But as stated a couple times, this deal at Costco only came with the wireless pad and does not separate from the pad. It's the exact wireless cable they sell on Sonos site.

I'll update this after I replace. I stopped charging at 91 percent after 11 hours on the triangle base. Turned off and trusting Costco will come through as they usually do with returns. 

Ok this is my last go - Take another look at the charger pad on the Sonos website via the link you provided earlier - it’s power block is totally separate to the actual cable and pad and you can use it with a USB to USB-C cable, instead of the charger pad. It will charge the Roam more than twice as fast.

The USB-C cable should be in your Roam box, but if not, then use any standard USB to USB-C cable for fast-charging its battery.

Badge

Hi everyone, 

I received my Sonos Roam yesterday and I am quite concerned by the battery drain on standby mode.

My roam is losing about 10% every hour on standby, which brings us to 10hours but I was expecting 10 hours in playing mode.

Should I be concerned by those stats are it was the expected consumption?

Thank you 🙂!

Hi, I was having the same issue and spoke to someone at Sonos, it was because I was only putting it in sleep mode which still connects to WiFi and checks for updates etc so will drain the battery. Hold the off button for five seconds which will power it off. I did this last night and the battery was still on 99% this morning. Hope this helps. 

Consider yourself fortunate then. I fully powered mine off last Sunday and it had easily 2/3rds charge. Tried powering it on just now - completely dead. I’m going to re-test this but if it does the same again I’m tempted to send it back. It’s not what was described / advertised.

Annoyingly I had to migrate to Sonos S2 app to get it to work too…

Also anyone managed to get it to work with the Sonos App while out and about? It seems that this functionality and Alexa are confined to when you’re at home and connected to your WIFI only - bit of a shame that.

I’ve just experience this issue over last two weeks. Charge roam on weekend , used for a few hours and powered down by holding down button on rear for at least 5 seconds. Not used at all during each weekday and then when I attempt to switch on again following weekend I discover it will not switch on and needs charged again. Not had this issue with my old bose Bluetooth speaker which has reliably worked for many years without this type of battery drain issue. As a long standing satisfied  Sonos user that has bought more than 10 products I’m slightly astounded that sonos have released a new product with such a glaring and basic issue that should have been discovered with elementary product testing.

Badge

My Roam loses all battery power in one week when fully off. That is absurd! 10 hours of use? Never!

This is very unlikely. If the Roam is shut off completely, you should only be losing 1%-2% of battery charge per day. You are probably putting the Roam to sleep/standby mode which allows the battery to continue to drain when not in use and for the Roam to wake up anytime you access the Sonos app. Shut off the Roam completely by pressing and holding down the power button for 5 seconds until you hear a chime.

I also find that it drains when fully turned off. 

Exactly what I’m finding after several weeks testing this with 5-6 day gaps of roam full powered down.

Badge

@JimmyJet77 I see that 10 of the 13 reviews for the Roam on Crutchfield are 4- and 5-star reviews. Seems like most Roam customers are satisfied.

@GuitarSuperstar I also have this exact same issue and agree with @JimmyJet77 and am not at all satisfied with roam product considering the appalling battery drain issue when fully powered off.

Userlevel 7

@JimmyJet77 I see that 10 of the 13 reviews for the Roam on Crutchfield are 4- and 5-star reviews. Seems like most Roam customers are satisfied.

@GuitarSuperstar I also have this exact same issue and agree with @JimmyJet77 and am not at all satisfied with roam product considering the appalling battery drain issue when fully powered off.

How exactly are you powering off the Roam? When it’s fully powered off, you should only experience 1%-2% battery drain per day.

Badge

By holding down rear button for at least 5 seconds. I have specifically tested this issue over last two weekends by fully charging , using for 1-2 hours and then fully powering down for 5-6 days until following weekend. When I try and switch back on I discover that unit is fully discharged. I am now charging again (till 100% charge) and going to repeat same test next week.

Userlevel 7

By holding down rear button for at least 5 seconds. I have specifically tested this issue over last two weekends by fully charging , using for 1-2 hours and then fully powering down for 5-6 days until following weekend. When I try and switch back on I discover that unit is fully discharged. I am now charging again (till 100% charge) and going to repeat same test next week.

When you power off the Roam, does the Roam show as “Offline” when you open the Sonos app?

Badge

No, it does not show up at all on sonosapp at that point. Only shows as offline when I put it into sleep mode. 

No, it does not show up at all on sonosapp at that point. Only shows as offline when I put it into sleep mode. 

I would perhaps take a couple of system diagnostic reports and try to show the battery depletion over a certain period of time (several days), make a note of all references related to those reports and then contact Sonos Support via this LINK.

I have two Roams that I use at Home, or when travelling. When I put those into standby/sleep mode, their batteries each last about 5-6 days in that state, but if they are powered off completely, then they each only lose around 2% per day battery and so easily last several weeks when held in that mode.

If your Roam is discharging within a week and you are quite sure it’s powered off completely, then it’s perhaps best to get the matter checked out by the Staff.