Skip to main content

I want to use my iphones microphone as source and sonos roam as an amplifier. Many people don’t speak very loud and are difficult to hear t.ex. When they are making a speach to a party. I have just been to a birthdayparty - 80 years- and it was very difficult to hear speaches. Maybe sonos could integrate this possibility in the app. I´m sure, that it will be very popular.???

This wouldn’t work successfully. Bluetooth transmission has an inherent delay of 100-200 milliseconds. The echo effect would only serve to muddy the sound.

To add to this, it really wouldn’t be up to Sonos  to make this feature, even though it would work poorly, to work.  The Roam is just receiving the bluetooth audio, it would be up to your iphone to take mic audio, and pass it on to the Roam or any other bluetooth speaker.

More importantly, the right solution for this problem is a hearing aid.  Perhaps that has a negative connotation to you personally, but it’s designed specially to amply the audio coming to you without requiring the speaker to be louder or have others have noise uncomfortably loud.

Lately, I’ve been using isotunes earbuds with what they call ‘Aware’ technology.  These are not really designed as a hearing aid, but they are bluetooth speakers with noise cancellation, specifically for noises that could damage your hearing, while amplifying other noises.  The idea is that you would be able to work with loud machinery, without hearing damage, yet hear when someone is trying to speak with you.  Again, not great for your purpose, but it’s got me thinking a hearing aid might not be so bad if the tech si good.

That said, if you are not the only one who’s unable to hearing someone speaking, then a Public Address, or PA system is what you’re looking for.  Sonos is not built for PA purposes.