Skip to main content

Have a wedding coming up.

Have an existing Move.

Needed a small system to play via Bluetooth .

was told via support that I could use both the Roam as well as the Move together, but not as a Stereo pair to play the same music (Spotify Playlist) through both the Roam and the Move.

No wifi will be available on site, will need to be fully blue tooth.

Testing

Controller S2 is installed.

Configured a “Group” to include the Roam and the Move with Wi-Fi active.

Sound Playing in Roam and Move.

Knocked down controller to test full blue tooth functionality

bluetooth is active

Both speakers are connected.

Any attempt to share music between the two or to move off WiFi to full Bluetooth connectivity seem to result in either loss of both speakers or the Move.

What am I missing?

Should I buy another Roam, will that be easier?  (I was told this configuration would work without Wi-Fi,)

Any third party applications that facilitate easier configuration?

I’ve not done this with a Move & Roam, but I did do a family party last year with two Sonos ‘Moves’ using a D-Link DWR-2101 Mobile Hotspot and that worked well. See image attached.

I had all the music stored on the mobile controller.

There was a backup Bluetooth option, using a dual-audio Bluetooth transmitter. Many such devices are available through Amazon online. The one I purchased made by Sonru is no longer available, but there are several other brands that do the same thing and have built in rechargeable batteries that will last for 8 hours or more. However, I never had cause to use it, as the D-link device worked really well.

It’s mobile wireless was a much stronger connection and the audio quality better too.

Note it pays to keep the speakers, controller devices etc; well away from guests/bodies milling about between the connections as the human body can get in the way of some signals and cause audio interruptions. In my own case I did keep the speakers positioned to avoid such issues and they played for over 6 hours with no problems seen at all.

HTH

I actually purchased another Roam to make it as simple as possible, since it’s actually my wedding!  Using a Bluetooth app to connect both speakers and want to play a Spotify Playlist.

Using iPhone (OS 15.6.1)

Bluetooth app is SMM.

Create Stereo Pair in Sonos (2 - Roam)

Bluetooth is ON.

Stereo pair is connected.

Can connect to the stereo pair in the App (SMM)

Can play Spotify Playlist.

Issue seems to be that Sonos drops the WiFi connect causing the stereo pairing to split into original two individual Speakers, causing one to fail..

Seems to be a failing in the architecture of Sonos on Bluetooth i.e. You can’t use share play on Blue tooth which would make everyone’s life a lot easier.

I’m going to test on another wifi system,, I was hoping I could use purely Bluetooth connectivity, but it seems I may need to actually configure the Create a new Sonos System using the two Roams at the Event Space. 

Thanks for the response Ken, would that it were simply a case of playing the two in as a non stereo pair via bluetooth using shareplay, but the functionality seems to be more tease than robust!

Thanks for the response Kenneth Appreciate the help,

Dennis