Skip to main content
A friend passed a Sonos play 5 to me and it did not work now. It does not power up, and no light. I searched the community topic. Seems it is a common problem. A lot of play 5 have similar problem either within warranty or several months out of warranty or a few years after purchase.

The simple power cord check, reset won't work for almost all play5 no power issue though that is a standard reply by someone with Sonos. Mine neither.

I contact Sonos on Twitter and got reply fairly quickly. The solution is return and fix with ~$350 + tax =~$380 due to out of warranty.

Too expensive to fix it, the new one is $500.

Someone on this community said they fix the issue by replacing a fuse and a rectifier.

I opened it and found the fuse is good. Measured by a multi-meter.

The rectifier seems is also good. Forward voltage 0.7V. No short diodes.

Don't know what to do next.

Sigh,
Correction, Sonos replied said the ~$380 is the replacement of a new unit, not just a fix of the old one. Still a bit expensive. Seems the model is if old one goes bad, pay a discount price to get a new one. Kind of like apple, exchange old model with new gen with a fee. However the iphone does not go bad by itself when do apple exchange. It is a personal choice, not a have to do situation. Don't know what is the malfunction rate of play5, and the distribution with regards to time.
Usually the Sonos replacement deals are for unopened devices so checking that first is always good. Now that you have opened it up about all you can do is search the forums for topics that might help. A tip for that is to use an external search engine and the Site: restriction option as they seem to find more than the forum's search tool.
Thank you Stanley for the reply. Sonos service is very good, responsive and supportive. No complain about that. They are super! No wonder there are lots of Sonos fans.