Skip to main content
I recently upgraded my router and it allows me to see internet usage by device, by hour. I have 3 Sonos ones and noticed that 2 of them consistently use a little over 1 MB per hour (450KB down, 700KB up). The third one only uses 50KB per hour. All three of the speakers are in different rooms with the only difference between the high bandwidth and low bandwidth being color (the low speaker is white and the two high use are black which I am very certain is not the reason for bandwidth use) and that the microphone is turned off on the two with high bandwidth use. I don't understand how having the mic off would increase bandwidth use (I would think it would be the opposite). I plan to test them tonight with the mic on to see if it changes but thought I would see if anyone has some insight into what the devices are transmitting?
When you say 'high' and 'low', do you mean 'tiny' and 'negligible'? I'm not sure what your router is measuring, but it doesn't seem worth worrying about??
Agreed that overall 2.5MB an hour is relatively light when it comes to data transmissions. My router is measuring all internet traffic by device. 90% of the data is being transmitted to Amazon. I have multiple Echos of various flavors and none of them transmit anything over a few KB an hour. You may not be curious about why 2 devices in your house are transmitting 2 GB a month but I am and thought I would reach out to the community and see if anyone else has been experienced something similar. I am guessing it is some type of bug based on the fact that they are so constant and that the microphones are turned off.
You might want to look at where your Sonos gear is connecting to, that might be part of the answer. Don't forget to check IP v4 and v6 connections.