Skip to main content

In regards to the battery installed in the Sonos Move, how many cells are in the battery and is the watt hour rating written on the battery? 

Hi @mtsautter,

While I don’t have the information about how many cells there are in a Move battery pack, it is a 14.4V nominal, 2.5Ah rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery rated at 36WH.

Is there a particular purpose that you’re needing this information for? 

Thank you for your reply.  I need to ship the unit to someone.  Therefore I need to document that the installed battery is in compliance and whether labeling is required.  Is there a technical team that would be able to assist me?

Thank you for your reply.  I need to ship the unit to someone.  Therefore I need to document that the installed battery is in compliance and whether labeling is required.  Is there a technical team that would be able to assist me?

Understood. I’ve reached out to our engineering team for some answers, and I’ll let you know what I find out. :slight_smile:

James, have you heard anything back from your engineering team?

Apologies for poking my nose in here, but I did find this link from UPS parcel service…

https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/media/en_GB/pack_ship_batteries.pdf

Thank you for your reply Ken.  The document you provided is actually the exact reason I needed to know how many cells were in the battery.  James stated that it was a 36whr. battery.  If the unit only contains a single cell, it would be considered hazardous because the cell was greater than 20whr.  See the top portion of page 8 from the document you provided.  Chances are pretty good it is greater than one cell. 

James, have you heard anything back from your engineering team?

Apologies for the delay. 

The Move’s battery pack contains 4 x 18650 cells with a BMU controller. 

I hope that helps!

Moderation edit: corrected the amount of cells from 3 to 4

Begging the colonel’s pardon @James L., but your answers seem mutually inconsistent:  A nominal 14.4 volt battery pack would require 4 18650 cells at their nominal 3.6 volt/cell charge.  (Nominal: 14.4V → Charge Cut-off: 16.8V; Discharge Cut-off: 10V.  I.e. 4.2 volts maximum charged for 18650 → still more than 3 batteries.)

Begging the colonel’s pardon @James L., but your answers seem mutually inconsistent:  A nominal 14.4 volt battery pack would require 4 18650 cells at their nominal 3.6 volt/cell charge.  (Nominal: 14.4V → Charge Cut-off: 16.8V; Discharge Cut-off: 10V.  I.e. 4.2 volts maximum charged for 18650 → still more than 3 batteries.)

Well spotted! Our engineer typo’d his response to my question and has since confirmed that yes, there are 4 x 18650 cells in the Move’s battery pack. 

I’ve corrected my original post to avoid confusion :slight_smile: