Answered

roam won’t wake after quick sleep switch off

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

According to the setup instructions the Roam has two modes to save energy.

One is a long five second hold of the power button which requires the same power button to switch on. 
The other is to briefly press the power button and when you want to power up the Roam next time to press any button on the unit but this does not work for me as the only way to wake the unit is to use the power button. 
Had anyone had any luck with waking the unit using the play/volume buttons?

icon

Best answer by James L. 21 April 2021, 17:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Ken_Griffiths

May be i can‘t explain it exactly enough…

Perhaps you can try it yourself and reproduce it. 

If the top control buttons really would be without function while roam is in standby, its status (just in the app) won‘t change from standby to active while nothing is done with the still opened app. 
Give it a try… let the app stay open, put roam to standby by pressing the power button (it will be shown as offline), then press roams play button on the top… after a few seconds roams status will change to active in the app, but ONLY in the app. You can‘t control roam with its hardware buttons, but for me the question is: Is it online or offline…

PS:

In my opinion this is a bug, because if roam is on that status (shown online in the app but still seems to be offline, no LED active and doesn‘t react on hardware buttons) you are not able to wake it up (because for the app imo it allready is online) by restarting the app. 
Now you only can directly start music from the app on roam or press its power button to get the LED active and roam working as normal. 

@Ken_Griffiths

May be i can‘t explain it exactly enough…

Perhaps you can try it yourself and reproduce it. 

If the top control buttons really would be without function while roam is in standby, its status (just in the app) won‘t change from standby to active while nothing is done with the still opened app. 
Give it a try… let the app stay open, put roam to standby by pressing the power button (it will be shown as offline), then press roams play button on the top… after a few seconds roams status will change to active in the app, but ONLY in the app. You can‘t control roam with its hardware buttons, but for me the question is: Is it online or offline…

PS:

In my opinion this is a bug, because if roam is on that status (shown online in the app but still seems to be offline, no LED active and doesn‘t react on hardware buttons) you are not able to wake it up (because for the app imo it allready is online) by restarting the app. 
Now you only can directly start music from the app on roam or press its power button to get the LED active and roam working as normal. 

Yes, my apologies, I am able to reproduce that issue too - I agree it seems like a bug. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Ken_Griffiths 

Thanks for varifying this…

It should be fixed soon because it probably will drain the battery and people will wonder why the battery drains like this in „standby mode“ (which in fact then isn‘t a standby mode, if you hit a top button by mistake). 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Ken_Griffiths

Thanks for varifying this…

It should be fixed soon because it probably will drain the battery and people will wonder why the battery drains like this in „standby mode“ (which in fact then isn‘t a standby mode, if you hit a top button by mistake). 

While I like the Roam, I think there are definitely a number of  bugs to be worked out.  (Reading this forum shows a few).  Mainly the bugs seem centered around the battery, waking, charging  and the like.  Probably the biggest issue being battery drain.  No way it goes 10 days on standby - unless you never touch the Sonos app for any other reason during that time - and even then I doubt it. And I’m not sure you get 10 hours of play on a full charge  I think 6 or 7 if you are lucky.

One possible bug I noticed today, - -the blinking orange light indicating the battery is running low, did not come on until less than 10% was left.  All of the documentation I’ve seen says that it will come on with less than 15% remaining.

All of this makes it feel a bit like it was rushed to market a little early (perhaps to meet investor/quarterly earnings targets).  

Here’s hoping for software fixes soon.