Skip to main content

I’ve had my Sonos Roam and wireless charger for about a week. It’s been in my office the whole time. Today, I noticed there was no longer a magnetic connection between the Roam and the wireless charger. Why would this happen?

I’ve never used/seen the charger (other than in photo’s/video’s), but might you have the charger-pad the wrong way up, perhaps? It looks the same on both sides in YT unboxing videos.

Hahahahahahaha! You are correct, Ken. That is extremely embarrassing but I’ll cop to it!

I’m in need of assistance from Dr. Rick from the Progressive Insurance ads.

Those may be US only ads...in which case Ken may not get the reference. On the other hand, I did actually laugh out loud :)

Those may be US only ads...in which case Ken may not get the reference. On the other hand, I did actually laugh out loud :)

I had to go look up a few of the Dr. Rick ads on YouTube. 

These are the type of things we all do, isn’t it? Such things usually happen to me when the Wife is onlooking  …and she loves to reminisce about them (often), usually when friends are around.😂

On a slightly more serious note - looking at the YT unboxing videos, the Roam charger design appears to not be helpful to prevent this from happening to other users, so hopefully Sonos will take note of this reported issue.

I’m glad it all worked out in the end :smile:

I’ve passed the feedback on to the design team about the charger, but there are some small differences that can help you orient the charger the correct way up. 

The “charging side” of the charger is completely smooth, plastic, and slightly convex with a small seam that runs around the perimeter of the pad. The base is slightly concave, rubber, with laser etched text that you can feel if you run your fingers over it and no seam around the edges. I’ve taken some high definition pictures of my personal unit for reference. Also, and this is news to me, my wireless charger flashes a red LED on the front edge when placed upside down.

Upside down (note red LED that should flash). Base is slightly concave.
Correct orientation - note slight curve on the top and perimeter seam
Top view of correct orientation
Top view of upside down charger

I have to admit to thinking for 2 minutes a couple of days ago that my wireless charger had failed, for this same reason.  I doubt that @pjmcg13 and I are alone… or at least I hope not!

I now have a simple way of telling which is the right way up.  If the magnets work, it’s the right way up.  If they don’t, it isn’t.