Skip to main content

I have installed the new Roam and have noticed that when used with my other Sonos speakers the volume is low. I use the alarm every day and it is set to 30%. This is fine with all other grouped speakers but the Roam is considerably quieter.

The Roam is a much smaller and less powerful speaker. 30% volume on a Roam is going to be considerably quieter than 30% volume on any other Sonos speaker.

Have you tried adjusting the Volume Limit lower on the Roam to see if that makes 30% volume on the Roam louder?

As GS says, it’s significantly smaller in the size of the speakers it has in it, as well as battery powered. It’s designed as a personal speaker that you carry with you, and not a “room” speaker, as many of their others are. 

Thanks for the input input and suggestions I have lowered the volume limit and see if it makes any difference. It’s true that the Roam is easily portable but it’s performance is very good and has loads of volume if you turn it up. It is however marketed to use with the system as well as out and about.

I tried reducing the volume limit to 60% and this made the volume lower as it just spreads less volume adjustment over the 0 to 100%. In normal operation each speaker volume can be adjusted individually and this setting is remembered next time you use the system. However with the alarm you set the volume of the alarm/radio to say 30% and this is applied to all speakers in the group. Over the many years I have owned the system this has always been the case with the alarm. I had the same symptom with my original S5 when compared to the play ones it was low volume but it wasn’t quite as bad as with the Roam.

Paul

Can you set a separate alarm at the same time just for the Roam at a higher volume?

Yes In theory you could set a separate alarm for the roam to play the same radio at the same time but when I’ve tried this before it means the speakers are not in sync so gives you an echo. I think the volume of the roam needs to be 45 - 50% to match 30% on the play one.