Skip to main content

At the moment it takes 30mins for the Roam to completely switch off and I’ve measured that the battery drains about 4% while waiting for the battery saver to work. 

I would like the option to reduce this to 5mins or even make it immediate in the Sonos app. 
This should not be difficult to implement!

Thank you!

You can manually turn off the Roam with a 7 second press of the power button. 

A configurable delay period would be nice, but nothing in IT is easy to implement. Build test and deploy takes months not weeks for what can look like the simplest of changes. 

You can manually turn off the Roam with a 7 second press of the power button. 

The Roam is meant to be user friendly so having to getup and walk to it everytime especially if you want to do it multiple times a day will be very ANNOYING!

Thats not a solution. 
Sonos is always updating the app so this feature should be on the requirements list for the next sprint. 

I would think that the way the majority of users each use their Roam has been looked at by Sonos in some depth and that the time periods for sleep/power-off modes has been carefully set on that basis.

It’s a case perhaps that you can’t please everyone, but the period set might suit the majority, whilst cutting down on development cost. I’m in the ‘majority’ here and prefer the 30 minute chosen time period, and the 13-15 minute sleep period that follows that to then completely power-off the device whenever the ‘battery saver’ option is set. Otherwise I think shorter periods will lead to me going to the device more often to wake it up from sleep to use its Alexa voice assistant, particularly when my mobile controller is not close to hand.

There are 2 options as I see it:

1- improve the battery drain during standby….it’s around 6-7% per hour which is ridiculous!

2- give us the ability to reduce the battery saver to 5mins or less. 

I see they haven’t fixed the issue of the Roam coming on if you use the app for another Sonos device. Luckily I only have a Roam. 
For my main listening I use another audio company. 

There are 2 options as I see it:

1- improve the battery drain during standby….it’s around 6-7% per hour which is ridiculous!

2- give us the ability to reduce the battery saver to 5mins or less. 

I see they haven’t fixed the issue of the Roam coming on if you use the app for another Sonos device. Luckily I only have a Roam. 

In the situation you refer too, if the Roam has fallen into sleep mode and you open the Sonos App but do not play anything to the Roam or goto it in the App etc; I think you may find it will fall back to sleep mode after a period of 2-3 minutes. That is something the Move will do too.

Hi @Csi_Basel 

Thanks for your post!

I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration.

Thanks Corry for the reply! Much appreciated!

My gf also has a Roam and we both like it a lot. I especially like that it can play the last station when I switch it on again without me having to look at the app even when a couple of days go by. Mine never loses connection or has any charging issues so if you can give an option to reduce the battery saver time to 5mins or less, perfection will have been achieved 😀

This comes as no surprise given your comments so far. I don't use my Sonos app to control another Sonos device, I use it to control my Sonos system, and I want all speakers to be awake and available. What gives you the idea that there is an 'issue' that Sonos haven’t fixed?

And when a speaker may be part of a wider system, it makes more sense not to shut it down too quickly.

Yes, configurable would be nice.  But even if it were easy to implement it may not merit resource compared with other minor changes that would be valued by more users.

You have every right to request this feature, of course, but it would not surprise me if it were way down Sonos' priority list.

Would it be easier to give us an “Off” button for the Roam / Move speaker in the app? I would prefer to turn my Roam off in the app rather than pressing and holding the button for 7 seconds because it sometimes takes a few attempts on my unit to turn it off using the button.

I’m glad for the new battery saving mode as it partially solves the critical problem of the Roam waking unintentionally and always having a flat battery when you need it. I’d like to see the optionality go further to add an option to turn off the “automatic wake from sleep function” except when the unit is plugged into power.

If the unit is plugged in then it makes sense for it to have the same functionality as my entire Sonos network, however when it is on battery mode the single most important feature is battery life itself. I don’t need it waking from sleep because I’ve turned the TV on in the another room. 

• When working on the battery alone if I push the Off button, or if the unit Turns itself off for inactivity it should turn itself off completely. This way battery life is prioritised to the detriment of functionality.
  • When plugged in and charging then it makes more sense for the unit to go into standby mode for both manual button push and inactivity. This way functionality is prioritised with no detriment to battery life.

• When working on the battery alone if I push the Off button, or if the unit Turns itself off for inactivity it should turn itself off completely. This way battery life is prioritised to the detriment of functionality.
  • When plugged in and charging then it makes more sense for the unit to go into standby mode for both manual button push and inactivity. This way functionality is prioritised with no detriment to battery life.

Taking your two points above…

1. If you hold the rear power button a while longer the Roam will power off completely instead of sleeping.
  2. On it’s charger, like all Sonos devices not playing audio, the Roam quickly returns to ‘low power’ mode before falling asleep and uses very little power in either mode and it’s power management controller will keep the battery in good condition and charged, ready to go - I personally like to discharge li-ion batteries and recharge them once every 6 months or so, but otherwise I keep the device on charge, when not being used as a portable speaker.