Skip to main content

I have three Sonos Player 1s. I saw old posts with this same topics, but no resolution. I have not used these speakers in a week, yet my home Network with 3 Ubiquity APs running about 30 clients show the top 3 highest upload to network are the three Sonos players. Mind you, I have four professional adults working from home and two kids home schooling. Our work apps and video conferences should be eclipsing any other upload. Why the heck is Sonos showing at 140MB, 100MB and 98 MB upload each yet they are not even in use? What the heck are they uploading? I have ipad and iphone apps for Sonos, background refresh turned off, but bluetooth and local network turned on.   Version 11.2.4, Build 57.4.83220, Sonos S1.   use alexa, spotify...

If you are grouping them they are uploading music from the group controller and sending it to the other group members.

Music library and playlist data is also likely, maybe some other internal stuff too.

I’m much happier with Sonos off my WiFi and on SonosNet where both can work without compromise. Wire one or more Sonos to enable SonosNet.

Good point on SonosNet. I think you are on to something

I originally had a sonos bridge or controller , 5 years ago. then got new speakers and SONOS no longer required that extra bridge.

i bet these SONOS 1 speakers were designed to have that extra component, and their old firmware not efficient in transitioning to the direct WIFI model.   For now, i unplugged them all. 

I do have the ability to direct wire one of the speakers. will try that.

Thanks for chiming in !

i bet these SONOS 1 speakers were designed to have that extra component, and their old firmware not efficient in transitioning to the direct WIFI model. 

I don’t think that sounds at all plausible.  All Sonos speakers are perfectly OK on WiFi or SonosNet (except the Move cannot do SonosNet, just mentioned for accuracy).

I do think it is likely these are internal data amounts, not uploads to the internet, but obviously I cannot be sure.

Once you move your Sonos off your WiFi don’t forget to reset your Ubiquity gear to full performance mode as you no longer need to restrict it to settings compatible with Sonos gear. You can go back to using both the other clear channels for your APs too.

I looked here and I don’t see a lot of data going out on the net from my Sonos gear although there are a LOT of ongoing connections. Just one Sonos has done 80 DNS lookups (IPv4, didn’t check v6) in the last 24 hours.

If you need a replacement for the Bridge get a Boost, it has a far more capable radio and less known issues. Sonos may offer a discount if you ask nicely and mention it replacing a Bridge.

Note that essentially this same thread is occurring here