Skip to main content
Question

Play 5 issue, no sound

• 9 November 2017
  • 6 replies

I just installed the newest update and suddenly my play 5 has no sound. It shows to be playing on the controller and shows connected. When I plug the headphones into the headphone jack on the back I get sound and the volume controls on the unit function properly, however without the headphones no sound is coming out of the speaker. I contacted Sonos support and was told that the amp in the speaker has gone out and that the timing of the update was purely coincidental. I was using the speaker as well as several other Play One units moments before installing the update. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to solve it? I was told that I will now need to replace the speaker that was functioning perfectly fine literally seconds before installing the update.
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I have the same issue with a gen1 play5, but it happened a few months ago during on update. I just now got the unit down where I could fuss with it and discovered that the headphone jack works fine just like your example. weird
I updated today and lost my 2nd Gen play 5 altogether and I've tried to add it back and cant.
There were some gen 2 PLAY:5 speakers that had bad wifi cards in them.

Your best bet is to connect it to your router with an ethernet cable so that it shows up in the app, then ssubmit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.

And at that point, I'd probably call in to them, since they don't seem to deal with replacements here in the boards. You can find other methods of talking to them at https://www.sonos.com/contact
I have the same problem on the 1st gen Sonos 5.

Diagnostic 8103744

I factory reset, reset router, etc
I did a diagnostic for mine 8114765. The play 5 is plugged into Ethernet. Rob
I was told based on my diagnostic that it may be a “loose connection” and they could replace for $380 since it is out of warranty.

Now I’m trying to see what part needs to be replaced so I can do it myself.