Question

Play 5 2nd Generation Shorter Power Cable

• 25 February 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +2
Just got a Play 5 2nd Generation. It has a non-standard adapter. The cable is really long. My power plug is directly behind the place where I want to put the Play 5. Can I buy a shorter Power Cable? I see an option to buy a cable in the Sonos Shop but it does not specify the size.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi harrysmith0, we do not make other lengths of power cables for our speakers at this time.
For my Play:5 at home, I use a twist tie to keep the cable in a loop right behind the speaker, so it's not visible.
I hope this helped!
Just got a Play 5 2nd Generation. It has a non-standard adapter. The cable is really long. My power plug is directly behind the place where I want to put the Play 5. Can I buy a shorter Power Cable? I see an option to buy a cable in the Sonos Shop but it does not specify the size.

Hi Harry, did you manage to find a shorter cable for your Sonos Play 5? I am in a similar situation - trying to wall mount the speaker next to the socket and don't want to spoil the clean lines with a whacking 2m of cable! Thanks in advance. Natalie
Flexson also has some shorter cords. Some of the Sonos speakers use a standard computer plug for power, so depending on your needs, you can shop there (I don't own a Play:5 Gen 2, so I'm not sure...)

On the Play:1s, I've purchased a spare cord, and then cut it to length and added my own electrical plug to it, so that I could specify the length myself. Of course, the Play:1 has a different connector, which is why I had to purchase a Sonos replacement cord. I could have cut the original cord, but I'm keeping those to use if I ever move the speaker further away from power.

Cutting a power cord and adding your own plug to it isn't difficult, you just want to be careful, since it's a power issue, and if not done properly could cause a fire or shock. But it's really easy to do. Just look at your local hardware store for replacement lighting plugs.

For my Play:5 at home, I use a twist tie to keep the cable in a loop right behind the speaker, so it's not visible.

Bumping this useful advice; isn't the 5 unit large enough for this simple idea to work?
Flexson also has some shorter cords. Some of the Sonos speakers use a standard computer plug for power, so depending on your needs, you can shop there (I don't own a Play:5 Gen 2, so I'm not sure...)

On the Play:1s, I've purchased a spare cord, and then cut it to length and added my own electrical plug to it, so that I could specify the length myself. Of course, the Play:1 has a different connector, which is why I had to purchase a Sonos replacement cord. I could have cut the original cord, but I'm keeping those to use if I ever move the speaker further away from power.

Cutting a power cord and adding your own plug to it isn't difficult, you just want to be careful, since it's a power issue, and if not done properly could cause a fire or shock. But it's really easy to do. Just look at your local hardware store for replacement lighting plugs.
Thanks Airgetlam. I think I will take your advise an shorten the cable - I couldn't find a shorter Play5 cable from Flexson. I have an electrician to help me, so hopefully won't have any issues!
Thanks Kumar. We have a sofa situated at right angle to the wall where the speaker is on so the cable-tied cable will still be visible, hence the pedantic request.
You're most welcome. I hope that you find it to be as easy a project as I did, and as functional.