Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Also, for those who keep pushing Sonosequencer, remember that 85% of smartphone users don't use iOS and therefore can't use Sonosequencer. Not an issue for me with my setup, but just a thought ....
So the real complaint here is not that you can't do it, it's that you can't do it through Sonos? Sorry, but I find that quite daft, not to mention self-defeating. Sonos has a policy that you cannot pair unlike models. The Play:1 and One are unlike models, for despite some cosmetic similarities, they share very little parts between them and are different sonically. Another app allows you to circumvent this policy, and Sonos lets them do it. So what exactly is the problem?

And if it is the money, PM me your Paypal info, I'll give you the 2 bucks. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don’t reasonably expect to completely differently named speakers with different internals to pair. Sonos has stated they are different speakers and don’t recommend pairing. Sonosequencr makes it possible to do it anyhow. End of story.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They don’t even look alike. The Sonos One looks like the more limited release play:1 Tone. I wouldn’t stereo pair for the astetics alone (although I do have a tone)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
85% of users may not individually have an iOS device they use on daily basis. But those 85% probably all have easy access to one to do the one time setup.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Agreed, and that's what I did with Trueplay. I just wondered if that was one of the reasons people were so stubbornly ignoring the solution that's right in front of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No I think it’s just stubbornness.
Agreed, and that's what I did with Trueplay. I just wondered if that was one of the reasons people were so stubbornly ignoring the solution that's right in front of them.

In the years I've been here, I have found there is a significant portion of users who are far more prone to complaining about a problem than they are to solving a problem. Case in point, the person who complained about Sonos promising to deliver Spotify for Alexa "by" a certain date instead of "on" a certain date, as if delivering it early (which it was) is a bad thing.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Again - for those who wish to pair a Play:1 with a Sonos One for stereo or surrounds - SonoSequencr will do it.

SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr. Say it with me now: Sono . . . Sequencr!

It's even got its own link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonosequencr/id967043604?mt=8

^^^^There it is!! SonoSequencr!!^^^^

SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr !!
And then you can pair a Play:1 and a Sonos One ?! Really ?! Why did no one mention this before ? 🙂
Again - for those who wish to pair a Play:1 with a Sonos One for stereo or surrounds - SonoSequencr will do it.

SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr. Say it with me now: Sono . . . Sequencr!

Can I only use Sonosequencr once for paired my player 1 and one. Subsequently I will be able to use the Sonos app to play my music in stereo? Or do I have to go through the SonoSequenc applications thereafter to make my music play?

If this is the first case, I do not understand the problem XD
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can I only use Sonosequencr once for paired my player 1 and one. Subsequently I will be able to use the Sonos app to play my music in stereo? Or do I have to go through the SonoSequenc applications thereafter to make my music play?

If this is the first case, I do not understand the problem XD

you only need to use it once to make the pair. after that the pair will 'stick' unless you unpair them again via the sonos app (or using sonosequenr) !
This is all so disappointing - when I bought my original 1 I had a long convo on the purchase support site about it being possible to control with Alexa and was told this was definitely coming. Also spoke about getting a second 1 later to create a stereo in the room - told this would always be possible. Now, I’m ‘ready’ to do the stereo (having been REALLYdisappointed by the Alexa being within rather than just ‘linked’, I now find the very thing I liked about the Sonos system - add at any time, easily expandable one device at a time - is not possible. Not good enough Sony.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The original 1 has Alexa ... what were you expecting it to do otherwise.

Sonos still expands speaker by speaker just as it always has. If your beef is you want to pair a Play:1 with a Sonos One as a stereo pair .... then pay the extra $2 and do it.

Its hard to have sympathy here - - it is a NON ISSUE.

The Play:1 and Sonos One will stereo pair. Heck a Play:5 and a Play:3 will then pair for that matter. You just have to use a 3rd party app to make the connection (just once and done). There is not a problem here. It probably takes the exact same amount of time to do it with Sonosequencr as it would if you could actually do it in the native app.
Chris - are you saying that I can make a stereo pair of an original Play1 and a new 1 (with Alexa)? The queries and responses here are saying not. I see now that it’s still possible to purchase original play1s - so am unsure what you mean about an additional cost (as it’s less expensive). I have an Alexa speaker elsewhere in my home and would like, ideally, to be able to play same tracks/radio station, as same time, through a Sonos stereo system in one room and the Alexa in the next room.
Buy a Play 1 for $226 on special at JB HIFI and an Echo Dot from Amazon on line also on special for $52
Chris - are you saying that I can make a stereo pair of an original Play1 and a new 1 (with Alexa)? The queries and responses here are saying not. I see now that it’s still possible to purchase original play1s - so am unsure what you mean about an additional cost (as it’s less expensive). I have an Alexa speaker elsewhere in my home and would like, ideally, to be able to play same tracks/radio station, as same time, through a Sonos stereo system in one room and the Alexa in the next room.

Use the 3rd party app called SonoSequencr. Sonos will not do it natively because it considers them different units, but SonoSequencr gets around that rule.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Curly - if you read the numerous responses - yes you can pair and Sonos One and Play:1 even though Sonos doesn't officially say you should. You buy the ios app called Sonosequencr for like $2. It provides a lot of macros you can do with Sonos and one of the options is to create a stereo pair of any speaker you want. So you can make a permanent pairing of the two like you want you just have to do it in Sonosequencr app vs. the Sonos native app. It takes a few seconds and it is a permanent linking (so it works no different then if it was in the Native App).

You must have missed every other response being - yes you can do it just use Sonosequencr.

People like to complain so you get a thread like this but it is NOT AN ISSUE.

Yes the Play:1 is currently still sold as well as the Sonos One. I would buy the Sonos One as it will also give you upcoming features like Airplay2 for your system.

That this is NOT AN ISSUE is stated 17 times in just the last 2 pages of this thread alone and reference Sonosequencr.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Can someone here tell me the disadvantage of having to use the Sonosequencr app to make the Stereo Pairing? Sorry to anyone I'm being short with but people keep posting complaints about this like it was an issue. Its starting to really irritate me that people keep saying its an issue when it is not (and ignoring the posted solution).

Yes - you have to have or borrow for a couple minutes an IOS device
Yes - you have to buy the app for like $2 (it does a lot of stuff and developer is worth supporting)

Otherwise its no different then if the Sonos app allowed the mixed pairing natively.
Buy a Play 1 for $226 on special at JB HIFI and an Echo Dot from Amazon on line also on special for $52
If you have one Play 1 just get another and an echo dot. No worrying about Play one pairing with Sonos one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would be concerned with that in that if the user does not have a Play:5 (gen2), Playbar, or Sonos One they will lose out on some upcoming functionality like Airplay2. I would recommend the Sonos One above the Play:1 right now if the user does not have one of those 3 devices in order to keep their system current.
Userlevel 1
This is a deal breaker along with not be able to rename Alexa! Packing Sonos One up for return, sad been a Sonos user and fan since 2013!
This is a deal breaker along with not be able to rename Alexa! Packing Sonos One up for return, sad been a Sonos user and fan since 2013!
You should have done your research before buying the ONE, and not afterwards.
Userlevel 1
Perhaps, but these were things you shouldn’t have to spend hours researching about all of can do & can’t do of a fairly inexpensive product. My time has a price too.

Guess I expected more from SONOS since I’ve been a huge fan and customer of their products. I was one of the first to jump on their wifi band wagon.

Easy enough to return lol.
Perhaps, but these were things you shouldn’t have to spend hours researching about all of can do & can’t do of a fairly inexpensive product. My time has a price too. [...]
You should have figured out for yourself that different prototypes can't be paired together. Simple as that.