Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
But as others said I don’t know why people would assume you could.
Ps. Work around works for a play:5 gen 1 paired with play:5 gen 2. Not again that makes much sense.
Rightly or wrongly, people would assume they could pair them because they look almost identical, are named almost the same and sound almost the same - if not indistinguishable, to each other.
I agree pairing completely different speakers is wrong - but I don't extend that 'logic' to these two speakers. However different they may be internally, the key in any speaker pairing is how they sound. To say it's wrong or question why anyone would want to do it, or why Sonos would even allow it - and then say they sound exactly the same and that the sound signature is irrelevant misses the point of the request somewhat..

Honestly, if I now had a single play:1 I would go for another play:1 to create a stereo-pair. As the sound is exactly the same the only difference here is Alexa. For me, voice control isn't something I would pay for, but thats just me. Also, the play:1 is very cheap now (well...kind of cheap). There are other methods to create a play:1 stereo pair and still have voice control.
Iam very disappointed and I feel duped by the marketing of Play One. I already have playbar and two Paly1s as a theatre and I understood that swapping one of the Play1 for a new Play One would allow me to continue this setup but add the Alexa. Now turns out I need tow Play Ones, which is frankly redivulous. Even with newer electronics its only a software issue to enable these to be made to pair in stereo. IF I HAD KNWN THIS I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS. And I will be disuading anyone esle from falling foul of the same ruse. Come on Sonos do the right thing and make these work instead of fooling your followers.
Iam very disappointed and I feel duped by the marketing of Play One. I already have playbar and two Paly1s as a theatre and I understood that swapping one of the Play1 for a new Play One would allow me to continue this setup but add the Alexa. Now turns out I need tow Play Ones, which is frankly redivulous. Even with newer electronics its only a software issue to enable these to be made to pair in stereo. IF I HAD KNWN THIS I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS. And I will be disuading anyone esle from falling foul of the same ruse. Come on Sonos do the right thing and make these work instead of fooling your followers.

Or you could just use the SonoSequencer app and get exactly what you wish.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Or you could just use the SonoSequencer app and get exactly what you wish.

Complaining is obviously more fun than going for a solution.
Badge +3
Hi there. I have a stereo pair of Play:1's in my kitchen. I would like to swap one out for a new Sonos One but will not until ... a) the Sonos One can form a stereo pair with an existing Play:1 and b) there is a commitment from Sonos to support Google Home on the Sonos One. Otherwise i have zero motivation to spend more money.
Set up and tested the 5.1 system with PlayBar + Sub + Play:1 + One, and it works perfectly!
Can you tell me how you did this! Ive tried grouping the one and Play as a stereo pair and grouping all components but I. annot seem to get it to work. What sequence did you follow? Thanks.
Set up and tested the 5.1 system with PlayBar + Sub + Play:1 + One, and it works perfectly!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Can you tell me how you did this! Ive tried grouping the one and Play as a stereo pair and grouping all components but I. annot seem to get it to work. What sequence did you follow? Thanks.

Assuming you are referring to one/1 in a 5.1 setup...

Open Sonosequencer.... at the bottom of screen there is the word devices. Click on devices. List of your Sonos speakers will come up. click on the playbar/playbase speaker name. In the top section you see the word Config. Click on config. This will bring you to the configuration screen to setup your surround speakers in any combination you want.

Courtesy of Chris on another thread
Having purchased 4 Sonos Play 1’s for the main rooms in my house, I have been advised that the Alexa enabled Sonos One has been released and Sonos offered me a discount on 2 of the new speakers. I wanted the voice control functionality but couldn’t justify the expense. So I decided to wait. Then I received an e mail advising that the discount offer was finishing, so I bought a pair intending to place on if each of the pairs on Sonos Play 1’s I had to give me voice control in both rooms. Now they have arrived and I investigate how to pair them into the existing system I discover this cannot be done. Why would you want 2 Alexa enable speakers in one room, and why did Sonos assume I would want to start repacking my recently purchased Sonos Play 1’s anyway.
Very unhappy at having wasted £350 for nothing.
Having purchased 4 Sonos Play 1’s for the main rooms in my house, I have been advised that the Alexa enabled Sonos One has been released and Sonos offered me a discount on 2 of the new speakers. I wanted the voice control functionality but couldn’t justify the expense. So I decided to wait. Then I received an e mail advising that the discount offer was finishing, so I bought a pair intending to place on if each of the pairs on Sonos Play 1’s I had to give me voice control in both rooms. Now they have arrived and I investigate how to pair them into the existing system I discover this cannot be done. Why would you want 2 Alexa enable speakers in one room, and why did Sonos assume I would want to start repacking my recently purchased Sonos Play 1’s anyway.
Very unhappy at having wasted £350 for nothing.

You can easily pair the Play:1 with a Sonos One using the SonoSequencr app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonosequencr/id967043604?mt=8
Thanks jgatie, I have looked at the app and will do the set up tomorrow when I have more time. Fingers crossed.
Well jgatie, I tried using the app as you suggested, but couldn’t find my way around it. After a while I gave up and went back to the Sonos app which had just updated. I found hat, once I had unpaired my Play 1’s I could set up the One in my dining room and pair the Play 1 and One together. Great. I couldn’t manage the same in my Sunroom but i’m Working on it.
Sonos have possibly responded to the complaints on here with the update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Sounds like you're confusing grouping (each speaker plays the same sound) with pairing (one speaker plays the left channel and the other plays the right channel).
Sonos app only suports the former (for a Play 1 and One (or any ither differently named speaker)).
Badge
I stupidly assumed that you would be able to pair these speakers without doing my usual research beforehand, and went and bought two Sonos Ones with the sole intention of setting them up like this. Luckily I bought directly from Sonos and have the 100 day trial period, so they'll be going straight back unfortunately.
It seems so stupid that this wasn't built in functionality from day dot. Logistically there is no reason that this shouldn't be the case, so it would have had to have been a conscious decision not to enable it.
I stupidly assumed that you would be able to pair these speakers without doing my usual research beforehand, and went and bought two Sonos Ones with the sole intention of setting them up like this. Luckily I bought directly from Sonos and have the 100 day trial period, so they'll be going straight back unfortunately.
It seems so stupid that this wasn't built in functionality from day dot. Logistically there is no reason that this shouldn't be the case, so it would have had to have been a conscious decision not to enable it.

"Stupidly" you didn't read the whole thread, and therefore missed the multiple dozens of times it was mentioned that you can easily pair a Sonos One with a Play:1 using the SonoSequencr app, available at the App Store.
All,

I think the products are similar enough and as they designed bout, Sonos could balance it out so they work optimally. Let's remember is streamed non-HD audio.

Now with that being said. I have my Sonos equipment for five-plus years, I think they need to drive us older users to new products along with new users. Our system our cloud dependant so there are expenses to that and since there is no subscription fee, the longer we keep our old device the more money they potential lose. I have no idea of their spends but I feel that has to be the number one driver for why new devices take so long to come out and also why things as simple of pairing the Sonos one and Play one do not work. I am pissed that I have to get two Dots instead of a getting to Sonos One's to pair with my existing play one.

Now Sonos if you really wanted to make me happy make a MIC device that we could plug into the USB port in the back. I would love you forever for that.

Also, do not flag my account I love my Sonos equipment.

D
Again - for those who wish to pair a Play:1 with a Sonos One for stereo or surrounds - SonoSequencr will do it.

SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr. Say it with me now: Sono . . . Sequencr!

It's even got its own link:

^^^^There it is!! SonoSequencr!!^^^^
Does it make that much of a difference if you stereo pair left and right as oppose to just using two play 1s in one room grouped together?
Does it make that much of a difference if you stereo pair left and right as oppose to just using two play 1s in one room grouped together?

Yes. A stereo pair will play the left and right stereo channel separately, giving a stereo effect. Grouped speakers play both channels in each speaker, with no stereo effect.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Yes, it makes a big difference.
Also really disappointed with this. Just purchased 2 Sonos ONE’s to take advantage of the Alexa feature in separate areas of my home. One would be in the lounge as part of my existing surround setup and the other upstairs. Really frustrated that I’ve spent the money and can’t use ONe in surround setup with my existing play:1. Who would possible have use for two Alexa’s in one room? Makes no sense to me. With regards to appearance my setup is somewhat concealed so weather one looks marginally different to the other makes no difference to me. It’s primarily about their functionality and this flaw is a real let down. Can’t see me purchasing another until this has been put right.
Also really disappointed with this. Just purchased 2 Sonos ONE’s to take advantage of the Alexa feature in separate areas of my home. One would be in the lounge as part of my existing surround setup and the other upstairs. Really frustrated that I’ve spent the money and can’t use ONe in surround setup with my existing play:1. Who would possible have use for two Alexa’s in one room? Makes no sense to me. With regards to appearance my setup is somewhat concealed so weather one looks marginally different to the other makes no difference to me. It’s primarily about their functionality and this flaw is a real let down. Can’t see me purchasing another until this has been put right.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
another person not reading thread and not fixing. Use sonosequencr and troubles over. Or just complain to complain.
Hi Chris, Thanks for your input. Im aware of the sonosequencr, simply didn't really expect to have to use another 3rd party app other than the Sonos app for this to be supported. Sonos isn't exactly cheap and ive invested an awful lot into my system. Given how Sonos works and how its ease of use is marketed,I simply expected the new Play ONE to fit into my current setup however I wanted it to and given the extent of this thread it would appear that a lot of people felt the same. Never expected this to be an issue in first place from a product like SONOS.