Answered

Pair of Sonos One Keeps Disconnecting

• 15 December 2022
  • 3 replies

I recently installed a pair of Sonos One speakers. They keep disconnecting. I spoke to Sonos tech support, who ran a diagnostic and said that the problem was that my two routers have similar names (one name is “…..”, and the other is “…..-5G”. He advised me to change the name of the router and/or call the internet service provider. This all seems more trouble than it’s worth for setting up two small speakers and will likely just return them and go with a different system, but wonder if there are any simple solutions. 

icon

Best answer by John B 15 December 2022, 18:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

My WiFi has similar names like your example and don’t have issues. But you’re saying two different routers.

Userlevel 7

By two routers, do you just mean the name of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands? Or do you actually have two routers running?

Can you connect one of the speakers to your router with Ethernet cable?

Hi.  I think there must have been a misunderstanding as to the nature of the problem when you spoke to Sonos Support.  The similarity of the names could not possibly be the problem.  What might be a problem is one of your speakers connecting to your 2.4HGHz WiFi band and the other to your 5GHz band.  You could call the two bands Tom and Jerry and it would still be a problem.

In the Sonos mobile app, go into Settings, System, Network, Manage Networks.  Do you see both network names?  If so, just delete the one with the _5G from Sonos.  Then power off your router and speakers.  Then power the router back fully on.  The power up the speakers.  See how it goes.