Not so good sound after wall mount

• 10 January 2017
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos 5 in my living room and i am very satisfied with the sound, especially the base. But after putting the speaker on a wall mount much of the base is gone and the sound is different. If i have it in the corner on the ground it sounds wonderful but in the same corner near the sealing on a wall mount it loses all power. What should i do? Where is the best place to put my speaker?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Are you running Trueplay on the speaker in each location? It's a cool feature that will change the EQ settings internal to the speaker to account for the differences in room acoustics due to speaker placement. I have two Play 5 G2 in stereo on shelves on opposite sides of the room near the corners about 10 inches out from the back wall. Without Trueplay the bass dominates which you might expect from the corner/wall reflections. With Trueplay, there is less bass and the midrange is crystal clear. Trueplay should work on either generation of the Play 5.
Thank you for writing to me! Yes i have tried Trueplay on both locations but it does not work. I attach two pictures Picture 1 bad sound on wall mount good sound on top of couch picture 2 good sound on tv bench....
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Trueplay has a neat feature where you can turn it on and off while some music selection is playing. When you say it doesn't work, does that mean that there is no difference in the way the speaker sounds with Trueplay turned on and off? Incidentally, the Trueplay APP will tell you if it made few or no changes after you do the 45 second sound measurements.
First i moved the speaker to the couch and there it sound good, after that i moved it to the wall mount and the sound completely changed. After that i took it down and placed it on the couch and it started to sound good again. on both places i did a True Play setup.
Probably because you significantly moved it away from surfaces that reinforce/reflect the bass aspect. Speaker placement makes a huge difference in sound, which is what TruePlay is supposed to help, but not fix completely. It's why when you get a sub, they suggest in a corner of the room for greatest sound, or in the center of the room for less.

Either use the app to increase the bass (in room settings), or leave it off the wall. Or maybe buy a Sub to handle the bass, if you're feeling adventurous. There's already a black box there in the corner in your picture....