Question

New version of SONOS 3.1 and 5.1 Theater System

• 23 November 2016
  • 5 replies

I wish to know when the new version will come out. The soundbar and subwoofer are a fantastic system today. I'm not a user yet, but want to buy. My concern is that the current models are over 24 months old and normally would expect company to have new upgraded and improved versions cycle through. I can wait for 6 months for a new version as I have an overkill system (Klipsch IKON reference speaker with 12" subwoofer monster) but my wife is looking to remodel the room and prefers a cleaner look.

I appreciate your input and any rumors on upgrade and what features to expect that may be worth the wait.

If you have 6 months... would you wait for the next version or bite the bullet now? What's your vote

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Sonos has given no indication they are going to upgrade the Playbar in the next 6 months. They never give out this type of information.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
As jgatie stated, there is no indication that there is an update coming, be it for the Playbar, Sub, or even Play:1 or Play:3 speakers. My vote goes to buy now. Sonos equipment actually holds value very well compared to most electronics, so if there is a new device you simply must have, you can always sell and upgrade, albeit at some cost differential.
Who in their right mind would choose option 3? Sonos components don't expire when the replacement model arrives.

It's Sonos, not Apple.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Who in their right mind would choose option 3? Sonos components don't expire when the replacement model arrives.

It's Sonos, not Apple.

Or Samsung... or LG... or most other consumer electronics manufacturers. If the Playbar can work for you now, it'll work for you for years to come. The software updates that Sonos releases today still work on devices that are 6+ years old!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

It's Sonos, not Apple.

Or Samsung... or LG... or most other consumer electronics manufacturers. If the Playbar can work for you now, it'll work for you for years to come. The software updates that Sonos releases today still work on devices that are 6+ years old!

I agree, any new Sonos equipment likely will not necessitate an upgrade and the "old stuff" will continue to be supported.

I mentioned "so if there is a new device you simply must have" as a reason to sell/upgrade only to point out that there might be some "killer feature" that appeals to you. For instance, some people clamor for HDMI switching in the Playbar. Likewise, maybe a new version of a Play:1 has a 3.5mm input, which certainly would please some people.

Anyhow, I couldn't care less for either of those features, and am certainly not predicting either. I am just pointing out examples.