Skip to main content
Hi guys!

Is it possible to have four "Play 5" speakers (two stereo pairs) in a group for a big room? I'm afraid that it won't be enough with two.

Thanks a lot in advance.

/Daniel from Sweden
Hi Daniel.T

Welcome to the Sonos community

Yes you can do that. That is what Sonos does. You can have as many "paired Sonos speakers" (up to 32) as you like.

The will all be in sync and sound great!
You could, but each stereo pair would be a separate Sonos 'room' in the controller menu. Grouped together you could of course control both pairs together using the master volume.

But a pair of PLAY:5s actually make quite a lot of noise, especially if you bond a SUB with them and offload the bass from the main speakers. I'd suggest you get one pair and just try it first. See how things go.
Splendid, thank you. Is it possible to have three Play 5 (two in a pair and another one in the same room) and group them or is this just...weird?
It could be a bit weird. The single PLAY:5 could tend to upset the stereo imaging of the pair.

What's more if the single unit was behind you, you'd be forced to reverse the channels of the stereo pair in front. "Left" would have to be on the right. (You can't reverse the channels within a single unit.)
What do you have now?
It also depends on how big is a big room. If it is big enough, it is always a good idea to have speakers in parts of the room that are far away from each other. That way volumes can be set to sound evenly across instead of too loud close to the speakers to be properly heard on the other side of the room. Experimenting, if you can get Sonos units on a returnable basis, is the best approach. And if you are looking at a Sub, don't forget how good even the 1 units can then be.
Thanks a lot guys for all your replies.

My current setup is two Play 3, and two Play 1. But we're moving into a big house at the end of the summer and I'll be using my old set of speakers on the upper floor and in the large living room I aim to setup the new set of Play 5's.

I'm thinking about starting up with two Play 5 and a sub to begin with, and then take it from there.
I have 4 sonos 5 gen2 and playbar. I want to control in front pair sonos 5 gen2 tv speeking, they have same noise. The playbar and front sonos 5 gen2 pair are repeating tv speech. Where are no control like in rear pair sonos 5 gen2 speekers? Setings: Front speekers are in difrent room, and rooms are grouped. Thanks.