Question

Moving from US to Singapore

• 19 January 2017
  • 1 reply

Hi.

I currently have a Sonos Play 1, 3 & 5, and a bridge. I am moving to Singapore soon, and am considering expanding my Sonos equipment in advance of my move as it seems to be quite a lot cheaper here in the US. I am looking to purchase a Sonos 5.1 surround sound package (SUB, Player, & two Play 1s).

Would anyone be able to advise on the wisdom of buying in the US versus waiting until I move to Singapore - specifically concerning international warranties and the workability of my equipment in Singapore. (I already appreciate that Sonos is dual voltage. Furthermore I am not using Spotify or similar services at this point in time, so I'm not so concerned about subscription to such services at this stage.)

Thanks for any feedback anyone might have.

Tomsq

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I spent 3 months in Bangkok at the beginning of last year. I could not find a local vendor to sell me or support Sonos, so I ended up having a friend ship over a Play:1 for me to use. Functioned perfectly. My recommendation would be to go ahead and purchase here before going there, unless you can find a reputable vendor there. I think the closest I could find was some obscure store in Viet Nam. Since I was going to be coming back to the US, and it was actually cheaper to order through Amazon, I did that. I wouldn't stress too much about support, honestly. I'd guess well over 99% of speakers have no problems. We have the benefit in these boards of hearing about the ones who do...and that's still pretty rare.

Mine worked off of the local power network in my office in Bangkok, I just used an adaptor and a US power line, since the transformer in the speaker handled the current difference. You could conceivably purchase appropriate power cords, if you're concerned about aesthetics.