Skip to main content

I can get one Move connected to my Apple TV (latest version) with Airplay. 

When I stereo pair both Moves, it no longer appears as a list of available devices on the Apple TV. 

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Have you perhaps tried stereo pairing the two Moves the other way around to see if that works? If it does work for you, then maybe try factory resetting the one that was not working (the right channel speaker in the latter instance) and see if that resolves the matter.

Also don’t forget to remove the Move as an ‘accessory’ in Home(kit) app, if using, before the reset and then add it back afterwards.  

edit: post reset, you will also need to reinstall your voice assistant(s), if using those on the Move too and/or re-enable auto-Trueplay tuning, if required.

Sonos is no longer an option when both are stereo paired, rather than it coming from just one. 

Attached are screenshots from my iOS device showing two (standalone) Sonos Moves called ‘Bathroom’ and ‘Portable’.. 

I can stereo pair them either way around.

So if I pair them using Bathroom as the left channel speaker - both will then appear in iOS as Bathroom. See attached screenshots.

If I were to pair them the other way around, then the pair will be named as ‘Portable’ instead rather than ‘Bathroom’. So just try stereo pairing them the other way around and see what happens. 

Just start the stereo pairing process from your chosen ‘right’ channel speaker and see if it fixes your issue.

Is there a step by step guide to connecting a stereo pair to the Apple TV?

Is there a step by step guide to connecting a stereo pair to the Apple TV?

You stereo pair the two Moves in the Sonos App and then simply Airplay to the Sonos (paired) speakers - using whatever name you have chosen for them in the Sonos App. If you do not see the name in your Airplay list, then maybe try pairing them the other way around and see what happens in that case.. as explained in my posts above. 

You should be able to see, select and Airplay to the named ‘pair’ from any Apple device speaker list. 

Ok thanks, I get what you are saying now (I’m Day 1 Sonos). I’ll have a play tomorrow morning and see where I get. 

all I really want to do is have paired Moves for my TV, then just grab one of the moves for use in the garden, then back to the TV. 

I understand the only way to do that is through the ATV. 

I have however read that a Beam, would also make what I want to do a lot simpler. 

Ok thanks, I get what you are saying now (I’m Day 1 Sonos). I’ll have a play tomorrow morning and see where I get. 

all I really want to do is have paired Moves for my TV, then just grab one of the moves for use in the garden, then back to the TV. 

I understand the only way to do that is through the ATV. 

I have however read that a Beam, would also make what I want to do a lot simpler. 

Please Note: The Beam cannot be ‘bonded’ to your two Moves for TV surround-sound audio, but all can be ‘grouped’ together. So any TV audio sent to the Moves will be stereo only and (more importantly) there will be a ‘delay’ due to grouped-room audio buffering, which will ‘likely’ cause an echo when all speakers are placed in the same physical room.

Music audio to the group on the other hand (via Sonos App etc.) will play in sync.

What is the best way to achieve my goal of having the Moves as TV speakers?

ideally, I’d rather not use the ATV, that was a last resort. I’d really like to just have the stereo paired Moves play from the TV and avoid any further major hardware  

What is the best way to achieve my goal of having the Moves as TV speakers?

ideally, I’d rather not use the ATV, that was a last resort. I’d really like to just have the stereo paired Moves play from the TV and avoid any further major hardware  

The Move isn’t designed for use with TV audio as it’s really just a portable ‘music’ speaker to mainly use around the Home and outdoors (garden area etc.)

You ideally need to purchase a Sonos Home Theatre product:

• Arc
  • Beam
  • Amp (requires two 3rd-party passive speakers)
  • Ray

… to which you then add (bond) 2 x non-portable Sonos speakers as an example…

• One
  • One SL
  • Five

Or you can bond another Amp instead..

• Amp (requires two 3rd-party passive speakers)

The Home Theatre setup from the above can also be used with one or two Sonos Subs.

So there’s currently no option to use two Moves, nor two Roams for that matter, which are the Sonos portable rechargeable products.

You can of course connect a single Bluetooth Move speaker to a TV, or Amazon FireTV etc; or any similar device that has a Bluetooth transmitter, or use Airplay (over WiFi) to connect to a standalone, or stereo pair of Moves etc; for use with Apple TV.

See this link: https://youtu.be/PsvjrixtVJU

Ok, how about a beam and two SLs. Would I be able to unplug one SL, plug it in in my waterproof bar?

so I can use both with the beam, and one standalone?

Ok, how about a beam and two SLs. Would I be able to unplug one SL, plug it in in my waterproof bar?

so I can use both with the beam, and one standalone?

The issue with that option, is you will then have to unbond the surrounds from the Beam every time you want to use the ‘One’ standalone - to bond/unbond the surround speakers actually doesn’t take long, but if you intend to use Trueplay to tune the setup to the room, the Trueplay settings will be lost when you unbond them. So you then have to tune the setup to the room all over again when adding the speaker back and that can take quite a while to do.

Really I would suggest you leave the speakers bonded and use another standalone speaker like a Move, for example, instead.

Thought I would pop in an update. 

Beam + 2xOne SL - Living Room (Static)

Move - Charging in kitchen, for use wherever :wall hangers around and about)

Nice setup, thanks to your help :)

one more question. Each time I disconnect a 1+ for moving/putting up/fitting brackets etc, is an absolute nightmare to get them all back up together. Should I remove them from the beam each time I power them down?

it’s a bit frustrating but shouldn’t be an issue when the room is settled :)

Once you’ve got everything set up they just stay powered on. You don’t need to unplug anything. After a few minutes of non-use they’ll go into low power standby mode. 

Thanks very much for all your help :)