Answered

Minimum Volume is too loud to enjoy background music

Show first post

184 replies

Hi! I spended a lot of money to “improve” the sound system in our bedroom and just realized
that it is totally useless. I’m so ##!++!#  Wish I would have found this thread before I bought this crap.

It’s like SONOS is making fun of us. There is an option to switch of the LEDs. I read this before
I decided to buy SONOS speakers and thought:  Wow, finally a company wich is aware of annoying LEDs in dark rooms, how great is that. And now I realized that I can’t fall asleep because the first volume step is way too loud, regardless wich setting, tweak or workaround I tried. But my bedroom is pitch black dark thanks to the switched off LEDs… 

Thank you SONOS, good prank!

• Perhaps try moving your speaker further away.
  • LED’s can be resolved with LightDims as sold online at Amazon and similar retailers or just use a small piece of electrical tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LightDims-Original-Strength-Electronics-Appliances/dp/B00CLVEQCO

Maybe my english skills are not the best, but you didn’t understand a word. 
Why do you think I have a problem with the LED and post a link for LED covers???
I wrote that the LED can be switched off in the SONOS app and that this is a great 
feature for bedroom use, but also a joke if on the other side the minimum volume is too loud
for bedroom use.

And this ongoing “move your speker further away” advice is just annoying. 
Imagine some people have rooms that do not a allow an other placement and/or
have mounted the speakers to the wall (like me) and/or like a specific placement
because they care about room design.

The problem is the speaker/app itself, not any use scenario.

@tesox 

I use the lightdims for the mic LED, as that allows the mic to be on with no light visible at night - Otherwise I can’t switch that feature off without losing voice control. I have three speakers in the bedroom, a Beam & surrounds (One’s) and even with 1% volume and set to ‘ambient’ I struggle to hear the playing music at that level, so I don’t think the volume needs to be any lower than it is. I do not consider myself to be ‘hard of hearing’ even in the slightest and the surrounds are placed close-by on bedside tables and within 3-4 feet away of my listening position, with the Beam set about 8 feet away. So I guess that Sonos need to cater for all users when setting the lowest volume available. Anyhow I’m fine with the lowest 1% volume (on the scale of 0-100%) as it currently stands and more often than not set it to higher than that setting. Had it been too noisy at 1% I would have toggled off the surrounds anyway, but that has never been necessary in my own use-case.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@tesox 

I have three speakers in the bedroom, a Beam & surrounds (One’s) and even with 1% volume and set to ‘ambient’ I struggle to hear the playing music at that level, so I don’t think the volume needs to be any lower than it is. I do not consider myself to be ‘hard of hearing’ even in the slightest and the surrounds are placed close-by on bedside tables and within 3-4 feet away of my listening position, with the Beam set about 8 feet away. So I guess that Sonos need to cater for all users when setting the lowest volume available. Anyhow I’m fine with the lowest 1% volume (on the scale of 0-100%) as it currently stands and more often than not set it to higher than that setting. Had it been too noisy at 1% I would have toggled off the surrounds anyway, but that has never been necessary in my own use-case.

It’s pretty clear from this thread that there are a lot of people for whom the lowest volume is too loud, and it is an issue, though.

Given how much I paid to opt for Sonos as a home theatre solution, it seems slightly ridiculous that I would have to turn off the rear speakers, or cut out frequencies using night mode during the day, just to avoid an issue that my previous non-Sonos HT system did not suffer from. I don’t really want to have to sell this kit, but it’s looking like an option currently.

It seems that the volume currently only allows whole 0-100 values, and cannot do decimals. At the lowest end it’s either 0 or 1. When you set a volume limit it just reduces the number of available values, and spreads those numbers across the slider (hence if you were to set the volume limit to 5%, the speakers will be muted until the slider is at 20%). It really should be the case that when a volume limit is set the slider decreases the upper volume limit AND recalculates the volume sent by the slider to allow for extra granularity with the same number of steps (eg. If the default top end is 100, with increments of 1, but I set a volume limit that reduces this to 10, the volume should go up in 100 increments of 0.1, rather than 10 increments of 1).

This is why the ‘Best Answer’ here is not actually helpful, it mentions the additional granular slider control provided by a volume limit, but it doesn’t solve the fact that the granularity of volume control doesn’t actually change. 1% is still the lowest it goes, and that it’s too loud for some users.

If the software cannot handle volume values with decimals for some reason (presumably this is the case as the Sonos Developer docs only allow setVolume to be an integer from 0-100), then an attenuation checkbox (or even better custom input/slider in the settings alongside the upper volume limit) to reduce overall db output by -20db or similar would also help solve this issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It seems this is now solved on new devices such as the Roam. I just bought it and the minimum volume can be very very low. That’s so bad that I cannot reach the same low level on my 2 Sonos One second gen. 

Just adding a +1 on this issue. I’m relatively new to Sonos (six One SLs and a Beam Gen 2) and very disappointed that the One SL (stereo pair) minimum volume level is too high for falling asleep, or even for background for reading, using Spotify or Pandora. I have the bedroom speakers past the foot of the bed, so they’re not even close to me, but in a silent room it’s too much. I have used Trueplay and tried volume limit after volume limit. The minimum volume level, even if it takes more “clicks” to get from zero to 1 depending on the volume limit percentage, does not change, and continues to be too loud. Turning off Loudness and setting the bass and treble sliders to their lowest helps *very* slightly but is not enough (and also makes the music sound worse). 

Sonos! Is there any way we can please have a lower minimum volume? Even one “step” between 0 and 1 would be helpful - more than one between them would be a dream come true. It seems a lot of us would be incredibly grateful!

For decades a logarithmic volume control was used so that low volume had more fine control than high volume. There is a reason for that…

I live in rural area where my ambient noise is 25 dB (measured)

Wikipedia:

The 'log pot', that is, a potentiometer has a resistance, taper, or, "curve" (or law) of a logarithmic (log) form, is used as the volume control in audio power amplifiers, where it is also called an "audio taper pot", because the amplitude response of the human ear is approximately logarithmic. It ensures that on a volume control marked 0 to 10, for example, a setting of 5 sounds subjectively half as loud as a setting of 10. 

It’s been FOUR years of topics like this and still no solution. This is terrible. 1% is simply to loud for background music.

Just out of curiosity, how far are the speakers from your ears?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Because minimum volume on Roam is fine, what about other new product such as beam gen2 or Arc? Someone having new products could comment on this?

Ive got 2x Sonos 1, and having the same issue, the minimum volume is too loud!!!

Ive got 2x Sonos 1, and having the same issue, the minimum volume is too loud!!!

Is that at 1%, or are you using an Assistant to set their minimum volume, which is in whole integer increments and that therefore may mean a setting of 10%?

I personally find a setting of 1% (via the Sonos App) for a Sonos One is fine and I actually choose to set the volume slightly higher than that in my bedroom at night. I have the pair on the bedside tables too (bonded to a Beam) and I would even say 1% is possibly too low for my own needs.

Badge +1

I have a similar problem.  But it’s more to do with the increments than the lowest volume.

We have Amazon Flex linked to Sonos Playbar.  This works okay.  But volume increments on Playbar are from 0 to 100 using the Sonos app.  

If I use the up and down volume buttons on my iPhone the volume increases by small amounts.  It starts off in units of 1 or 2, but higher up the scale the increments are larger.  That’s fine with me, and I can use the scroll bar to control in small steps (1 especially at higher volumes is fairly subtle.

However, if I use Alexa to control volume 1 is now seems to be equivalent to 10. So the steps are quite large.  And an increase from 2 to 3, is quite a lot.  We already have the maximum limit set to 75% which is mostly to avoid the kids setting the volume too high.  But helps a little with the volume controls.

However, it would be better if Alexa had more refined steps.  I’m sure a few months ago, I could control Sonos using Flex with for example: Set volume to 23. This was ideal as the 1-100 scale is far more usable. Other posters have also mentioned having that more refined control in the past.

Can this be added (or re-added!) to Alexa.  Or, have a choice in settings to have 1-10 or 1-100, if there is a need. Changing from 1-10 to 1-100 shouldn’t have any particular issues,.  Naturally if it was the other way round, it could blast out music unexpectedly.  In fact, that is exactly what happened to me.  I had previously used Alexa to say volumes as say 10.  But suddenly 10 became full volume.  Not ideal when kids are asleep.

10 steps is not enough.  Give us 0 - 100 please Amazon /Sonos

Because minimum volume on Roam is fine, what about other new product such as beam gen2 or Arc? Someone having new products could comment on this?

Recently bought a Sonos Amp, wish I read all this before.. lowest volume is way to loud. Would not recommend Sonos to anyone because of this

Badge +1

Have you tried reducing the max volume in the Sonos app settings?
I’ve done that for Playbar and One.

Might help?

If I say to my Sonos speakers “Hey Sonos, set the volume to one percent” I find I struggle to hear the audio clearly from 5 or 6 feet away and that’s using the larger Sonos Arc TV speaker, without altering the volume-limiter from its default 100 setting. Sonos have to cater for everyone I guess and one percent seems fine with my level of hearing things.

Badge +1

If I say to my Sonos speakers “Hey Sonos, set the volume to one percent” I find I struggle to hear the audio clearly from 5 or 6 feet away and that’s using the larger Sonos Arc TV speaker, without altering the volume-limiter from its default 100 setting. Sonos have to cater for everyone I guess and one percent seems fine with my level of hearing things.

I suspect the issue might be more for those people who have Sonos devices which don’t have built-in voice control. For example, we have Playbar connected to Flex to enable Alexa.
When I posted above, I could only use 1 to 10. So, 1 is 10%. So, moving from 3 to 4, is already at 40% which is fairly loud eg at nighttime.

Flex doesn’t seem to be recognising any commands now so can’t recheck!

I suspect the issue might be more for those people who have Sonos devices which don’t have built-in voice control. For example, we have Playbar connected to Flex to enable Alexa.
When I posted above, I could only use 1 to 10. So, 1 is 10%. So, moving from 3 to 4, is already at 40% which is fairly loud eg at nighttime.

Volume level 1 though is actually a limitation of Alexa and represents a 10% volume level - this is something Amazon do, but both the Sonos App and their own SVC assistant has more granularity and as mentioned a 1% volume level can be selected. It’s perhaps Amazon that needs to be canvassed for this change, I think. If using an S2 setup, the easy answer maybe to add a ‘Roam’ or ‘One’ to the setup with SVC installed alongside Alexa and then have the best of both (and a nice new shiny speaker too). S1 users though will need to use the App and/or volume limiter.

Badge +1

Volume level 1 though is actually a limitation of Alexa and represents a 10% volume level - this is something Amazon do, but both the Sonos App and their own SVC assistant has more granularity and as mentioned a 1% volume level can be selected. It’s perhaps Amazon that needs to be canvassed for this change, I think. If using an S2 setup, the easy answer maybe to add a ‘Roam’ or ‘One’ to the setup with SVC installed alongside Alexa and then have the best of both (and a nice new shiny speaker too). S1 users though will need to use the App and/or volume limiter.

Not sure if I am missing something - but we have Sonos One with Alexa, and asking for volume to 1 actually sets to 10%. Similarly asking for 1% sets to 0 (muted). 5 (%) = 50%.
Besides that is on Play One. I don’t seem to be able to use One to set Playbar volume. 

Any ideas?

Badge +1

We have playbar in lounge and One in kitchen. So, having Voice Control via One is not convenient anyway. That’s why I bought an Amazon Flex to enable voice control on playbar.

Not sure if I am missing something - but we have Sonos One with Alexa, and asking for volume to 1 actually sets to 10%. Similarly asking for 1% sets to 0 (muted). 5 (%) = 50%.
Besides that is on Play One. I don’t seem to be able to use One to set Playbar volume. 

Any ideas?

Install SVC alongside Alexa and try it with that assistant. Alexa does not have the granularity level of volume control like SVC. Alexa works with integer values where the scale is 1=10% volume level. It’s unfortunately how the Amazon assistant works on Sonos. SVC can be installed alongside aswell and that allows volume values between 1% upto 100% - so maybe give that a try.

Badge +1

Any ideas?

Install SVC alongside Alexa and try it with that assistant. Alexa does not have the granularity level of volume control like SVC. Alexa works with integer values where the scale is 1=10% volume level. It’s unfortunately how the Amazon assistant works on Sonos. SVC can be installed alongside aswell and that allows volume values between 1% upto 100% - so maybe give that a try.

Not sure what you mean by ‘Install SVC alongside Alexa and try it with that assistant’?
Can you clarify, please?

We have Alexa added in S2 Sonos app. Do you mean another app? Or…?

We have playbar in lounge and One in kitchen. So, having Voice Control via One is not convenient anyway. That’s why I bought an Amazon Flex to enable voice control on playbar.

I dont really think I can help you. Maybe add a portable Roam to your lounge with SVC installed, or just use the Sonos App and volume limiter (if required), or perhaps see if the TV remote volume control itself will help.

You can temporarily add SVC to the Kitchen ‘One’ at least, just to see if it provides you with the volume granularity required and if so, then get the Roam installed on a Qi charger in the lounge. 

@Sounding,
SVC is ‘Sonos Voice Control’ - it’s available to install alongside Alexa via the S2 Sonos App - goto ‘Settings/Services & Voice’ to add the assistant to your Sonos One and/or see this LINK.

See this link too for the available SVC syntax:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/list-of-voice-requests-for-sonos-voice-control