Skip to main content
Hi there ive recently got into sonos and have 2 play 5s there amazing

But i was looking to get a couple of play 3s i only use my sonos for music streaming etc and not for the tv but i noticed these have been discontinued i wanted one for the kitchen and one for the dining room

Is anyone aware if there is going to be a new mid sized released or am i better tracking a couple of play 3 down

any help or advice appreciated
Sonos hasn't stated that they're going to release a new version of the play:3, but it wouldn't be too out of character for them to keep silent on it until a month or so before a new version is released. It's just my opinion, but I'd guess if a new version comes out, it will happen in the next month or so before the Christmas shopping season.
Thanks Danny now im thinking do i wait or take advantage of a good deal as there must be a bargain to be had
I hope the Sonos Three or whatever it might be, resembles the new Bose Home Speaker 500.
Hi there,

Some info i have gained it would appear that there may be a new speaker in the offing but not until mid 2020 apparently so decided to hang on in the hope of a black friday special and then i will get another play 5.
I'm kinda fond of the mini bookshelf format the original Play 3 came in, it makes placing it a lot more flexible.

If they do a new 3 I'd hope they managed to put in a stereo setup like the 5s, that would be a big selling point over the 1/One speakers.
To be very clear, so far there's been no official comment on whether or not the Sonos PLAY:3 has indeed been discontinued. The only thing we really know is that it has disappeared from some web stores in the EU for Sonos, and it's shown up for several months as unavailable on the US store website. All the rest has been speculation (including from me).

I'd love to see what information you might have gained, nige1165, regarding a new speaker in mid 2020. Yours is the first mention that I've seen here in these forums about such a possibility.
To be very clear, so far there's been no official comment on whether or not the Sonos PLAY:3 has indeed been discontinued. The only thing we really know is that it has disappeared from some web stores in the EU for Sonos, and it's shown up for several months as unavailable on the US store website. All the rest has been speculation (including from me).

I'd love to see what information you might have gained, nige1165, regarding a new speaker in mid 2020. Yours is the first mention that I've seen here in these forums about such a possibility.

Nope it’s not a few stores it’s the official Sonos web store is showing as discontinued I think that is a solid indicator that Sonos have discontinued it lol

See pic

Well, that's changed since last week, when it was listed (as I recall) as out of stock. But there's still been no official announcement from any Forum folks, nor have I seen anything from Sonos marketing or the CEO.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it seems likely to be a true statement....and I'm hoping many of the same things for a replacement, but just wanted to be clear that there's not been an official confirmation.

On the other hand, the timing's pretty good for this to occur. Sonos likes to, at least based on past history, release a new device right around the holidays, to maximize revenue at the end of the year. Like pretty much every other company out there 🙂
Hi there,

Some info i have gained it would appear that there may be a new speaker in the offing but not until mid 2020 apparently so decided to hang on in the hope of a black friday special and then i will get another play 5.

Don't know the source of your "some info" but that is highly unlikely from a company that has just gone public. There will certainly be a faster product release velocity. 2020 is a non starter in that regard.In this competitive environment with things moving as fast as it is that makes no sense. There will almost certainly be a couple product releases before year end. Can't say for sure a Play Three is among them but I doubt they are saying yeah let's plan it for 2020.

Don't know the source of your "some info" but that is highly unlikely from a company that has just gone public. There will certainly be a faster product release velocity.

Sonos has stated that they would be releasing products at a quicker pace, so yes, that makes sense.

2020 is a non starter in that regard.In this competitive environment with things moving as fast as it is that makes no sense.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Sonos started development on a product they are planning to release in 2020. From articles I read on the Beam, it was in development for 2 years. Granted, the IPO could speed up a timeline, and the Beam was a new product vs ungraded version of a new product, but it's not surprising if a project schedule is based off of their experience with the Beam.

But I have to think that if a 2020 product is replacing the play:3 it would likely have a significantly different feature set. And I'd imagine they wouldn't discontinue the play:3 this early if sales were good, and why spend the money on a new play:3 without a good reason to think sales will improve?

There will almost certainly be a couple product releases before year end.

Can't say for sure a Play Three is among them but I doubt they are saying yeah let's plan it for 2020.

Well, the Sonos amp is coming out, and Google integration is sure to boost Holiday sales (assuming it's released early enough). I wouldn't be surprised if that covers the couple of product releases or not, although I'd like to see a new product or two. I would be surprised if there isn't another new product announced between now and Spring 2010...just my guess.

Can't say for sure a Play Three is among them but I doubt they are saying yeah let's plan it for 2020.

A part of me thinks that the plan should be to upgrade products to the current look/feel and slap on HDMI-ARC and voice assistant where appropriate. This is kind of what they did with the Sonos amp. They could do the same with the playbar, play:3, play:5, and connect. However, I would guess whatever upgrade version needs to be on sale for 2-3 years at least before replacement, I'd think. If they do have some new features up their sleeves they want to release in a product, then perhaps it's best to keep the older products on the market until the new product/features are really ready.
Much in the same way that they didn't add the microphone array for the Sonos Amp, I'm having a hard time believing that you could make a case for adding one to the CONNECT. I guess in some cases, it might make some sense? Although you could convince me that making one that mirrors most of the functionality of the Sonos Amp, without the Amp part makes some sense. But I wonder how large the market is for that kind of connecting device at this point. Would be interesting to see the market studies that I'm sure Sonos has.

Barring any "new" releases, I could see updates in the near future to the PLAY:3 and the PLAYBAR, and then maybe the CONNECT.

Frankly, I'd pay money fairly immediately for a new PLAYBAR. That design is many years old, and I'm sure there's a lot of new technical and audio engineering that could be added to that.
[quote=melvimbe]

Well, the Sonos amp is coming out, and Google integration is sure to boost Holiday sales (assuming it's released early enough). I wouldn't be surprised if that covers the couple of product releases or not, although I'd like to see a new product or two. I would be surprised if there isn't another new product announced between now and Spring 2010...just my guess.

Not sure that Google support and the Amp will give enough of the holiday push they may want and need. The latter is a great device but very much a niche product - one they are clearly bent on cornering. - a good strategy. I have no way of knowing for sure but I think something new is coming soon.

I elsi think there is an opportunity to make a new Play 3 the mother of smart speakers. A true all round player.
I am so annoyed at this. so our options are a low end and a high end ... no mid range? i cant afford a play5... this is so sad. i love sonos and am a beta tester. but to drop this mid range speaker (i really need it for rooms that are too big for two play ones but play5 is too expensive and play 3 works just fine).

damn and blast

i wish they would at least post here that there are plans to replace with some kind of mid range. instead of a mysterious NO LONGER AVAILABLE on their website.
It would be great if Sonos could be a bit more open. it would really help reduce the anxiety over deciding to wait for the (possible) new unit or grab a used one from ebay or the like.
Marketing types rarely appreciate diminishing the impact of a new product reveal. If there is a replacement coming, I'm sure that they have a plan for making the announcement where it will make the biggest splash, and have maximum coverage across all new sites, at a time where they think it will stick in the minds of the purchasing public heading in to the holiday season.
I'm not sure if there is room between the Play:1 and Play:5 - The Play:5 is a great stereo speaker. Any less than has always been compromised. I like my Play:3 speakers but they never had much extra value from the Play:1. Its stereo separation never was all that impressive. Unless they do some major changes to the Play:3 - better sound and input available …. I don't see it being a real viable product.
I can't really say there is much of a market for it either. A pair of Sonos:Ones are going to cover most small to mid size rooms. Large rooms are most likely going to have a TV in it, so a customer is likely to lean on a soundbar option. If not, then there is the play:5 as an option. So that leaves a rather small market for those that don't want a stereo pair of Sonos Ones, don't want tv audio, and don't want to go all the way to a play:5.

I don't know if this fits the market much at all, but I'd say that a new product with similar power/quality as the play:5, but with voice assistant and upgraded hardware priced in the $350-$400 range would do better in revenue than putting out a Sonos Three and Sonos Five separately. The 3 needs more separation than the One, and the Five is out of the price range for a lot of the market...but I am guessing. I also think a good physically appealing size would be somewhere in between the size of the current play:3 and play:5.