Skip to main content
Answered

impossible to group speakers - Unable to connect.try again later

Hi there,

I am suddenly unable to group speakers. Individually they all work fine, but unable to group speakers with the most recent app. Also, “manually grouping” by holding the play button for 3 sec, doesn’t seem to work anymore. 

How can I make this work again ? Any help is appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 1

Tr1cky49 wrote:

So I managed to solve it by going to the system settings and checking for updates. It went through a process of updating every speaker and thereafter it was fine, but kind of odd that it hadn’t  prompted to say that there were updates available. 

Thanks for post. This is exactly what happened to me. I would continue to get this error “"unable to connect. try again later".  trying to group a beam gen2 and Sonos amp that would drive the outdoor Sonance speakers (sub of Sonos parent). Went into the Sonos app > click the gear > select Manage > select System Updates > clicked Check for Updates. Note this is for the latest version 80 app. After the update I could immediately group speakers. 

However there are still bugs in this new Sonos app release. Not a fan of the new interface. It is very busy, find it more frustrating to find playlists than the old version. Also connectivity to some of the Sonos radio stations are hit or miss. :-( Finding the speakers you want to connect is not as intuitive either. It took a few tries to understand I had to swipe up. I know there is a better way. It should be more like how Spotify’s UI works, that is a great interface. I appreciate Sonos to continue to develop new things, but this was a fail in my opinion. 

I can't even access my system in the app. Why do you ask????  Well my app shows I have no system anymore. All I get is Beam needs updating. Well fast forward. I try to update by clicking fix this. Then I get a * load of different error codes. 1106 1064 and the list goes on.  Everything  points to my router.    Guess what sonos.  Nothing is wrong with my router or my network.   It's on your end.  My speakers worked fine until this past Wednesday 

I'm about to toss it all put and go purchase  a system I don't need to rely on a phone app to adjust volume 

So tired of your system always screwing up sonos

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Same issue, same solution. My Roam that I had not used for a while would not group, and when I checked for updates the Roam updated and everything now groups fine. App is set to auto-update. So, not great. And I also strongly dislike the new App interface, it was overly complex before and now it’s worse. At least Sonos is cheap <eyeroll>!

Userlevel 2

Tr1cky49 wrote:

So I managed to solve it by going to the system settings and checking for updates. It went through a process of updating every speaker and thereafter it was fine, but kind of odd that it hadn’t  prompted to say that there were updates available. 

My system is updated and I still have issues grouping speakers and play back for extended periods. It'll start out ok and after an hour or so it'll start freezing, starting and stopping tracks, skipping tracks and finally stopping all together. It sucks. They need to fix it along with editing queues, saving queue as playlist, or just opening the app and being presented with a no deves connected message, among other issues.

I just moved & have problems with one of my Sonos 1.  So I  unfortunately did a reset on one speaker that I cannot get to work. The rest of them do, probably since I did not do a reset.  I did call Sonos & got nowhere after being on the phone for over an hour 

Badge

I’ll chime in. Sonos is so unreliable.  We pay big bucks, but if you can’t acutually play music all you have are expensive bricks.  My patience, and my wifes, has run out.  Waaayyyy too complicated.  Too expensive.  Moving on.

Hey, 

The update worked for me in getting the Roam to play the same as the Beam as posted above (cheers)  “ Sonos app > click the gear > select Manage > select System Updates > clicked Check for Updates”

Even though its on Update Automatically there were updates available.  It said there was an error updating the Beam and the 2 x One SL’s but must have updated the Roam as I could then get it to sync via the app. 

Hopefully it keeps on working………… 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for this post, helped me solve the constant unable to connect errors to our Sonos Connect.

Why with automatic updates we were out of date and not even notified that updates were available I don’t know, yet another bug in the new app I can only assume :(

Badge

Even though I updated all my speakers using the macOS app, I still get this error. As a result, I can no longer group my stereo pair of Sonos One SLs with my Sonos Arc home theater setup.

This whole experience since the “modernization” of the mobile app is so frustrating. The next time I would expand my Sonos setup to another room, I will take the opportunity to switch brands instead.

Userlevel 1

Excellent, thanks Tr1cky49. I have been away for 3 weeks and come back imagining, hoping that the Sonos debacle would have resolved. But oh no - have just spent two hours doing all the usual switch off and on, delete and reload, repeat, scream, etc. Had looked to see if the many updates might be the issue but hadn’t see any updates. But followed your path to discover there were and hey presto. Although not straight away - had to do some switching off and on and wait. Well beyond a joke. Surely these most unrecommended products…

I have waited a few weeks as well & now only the sound bar & subwoofer operate.

Why in the world was anything changed on the app when all of us pay so much money for these Sonos.

So the CEO admits there are issues. Great. Now put back what was not broken