Skip to main content
Just would like to ask all of the experts here that if I'm not using the ALEXA or GOOGLE assistant etc... Is there any difference between the PLAY 1 and SONOS ONE? Will SONOS stop upgrading the firmware of PLAY 1 or the users will not be able to use it in some years? I'm quite worry because I have 8 PLAY 1 in my apartment...
Currently, if you're not using any voice control through the Sonos (you can still use voice control of your Sonos system by using an echo device, doesn't have to be a Sonos speaker), there's essentially no difference.

Hard to tell what will happen in the future, but so far, Sonos has continued to support every speaker that they've released from the beginning of the company. They have stopped support for two devices, a controller device, and a iPod dock, but all speakers still have the capability of running the current software.

Yes, there's liable to be some point in time at which the Sonos One will be supported for more things than the older design of the PLAY:1. I don't see that happening any time soon.

But you should be considering, the Sonos One has more memory, more processor in it, for a very small difference in price. At this point, the only time I'd ever recommend a PLAY:1 is when you're only going to use them as a surround speaker. But then, if you may ever change, then I'd say get the Sonos One. The value difference between the two just isn't worth the extra headache, at some point in the future.
Currently, if you're not using any voice control through the Sonos (you can still use voice control of your Sonos system by using an echo device, doesn't have to be a Sonos speaker), there's essentially no difference.

Hard to tell what will happen in the future, but so far, Sonos has continued to support every speaker that they've released from the beginning of the company. They have stopped support for two devices, a controller device, and a iPod dock, but all speakers still have the capability of running the current software.

Yes, there's liable to be some point in time at which the Sonos One will be supported for more things than the older design of the PLAY:1. I don't see that happening any time soon.

But you should be considering, the Sonos One has more memory, more processor in it, for a very small difference in price. At this point, the only time I'd ever recommend a PLAY:1 is when you're only going to use them as a surround speaker. But then, if you may ever change, then I'd say get the Sonos One. The value difference between the two just isn't worth the extra headache, at some point in the future.

Thanks for your kind reply and I understand it's always better to buy newer models instead of old ones... But for me, those PLAY 1 were bought before SONOS ONE available... haha! To be honest I just use my SONOS speakers for streaming music and enhance the TV sound... I don't really need the voice control as this is not even supported in my territory at the moment.

My only concern is if the PLAY 1 are still can be functioned as what they are after some years... because it will be a big headache for me if they are no longer working...
I've got 6 or 7 PLAY:1s, and 2 Sonos Ones. I've got absolutely no concern that there will be any issue with my PLAY:1s for at least 10 years, maybe longer. I do control my entire Sonos system using Echo Dots, rather than the mics included as part of the Sonos Ones, in fact I've turned off the mics on them. I also have a PLAY:5 gen 1 that I bought back in 2013 (I think), which still works just fine.

You've got absolutely nothing to worry about. As I said, Sonos still supports speakers that they released when the company first started, back in 2001/2002 time frame. Not a chance that the PLAY:1 will be deprecated any time soon.
I've got 6 or 7 PLAY:1s, and 2 Sonos Ones. I've got absolutely no concern that there will be any issue with my PLAY:1s for at least 10 years, maybe longer. I do control my entire Sonos system using Echo Dots, rather than the mics included as part of the Sonos Ones, in fact I've turned off the mics on them. I also have a PLAY:5 gen 1 that I bought back in 2013 (I think), which still works just fine.

You've got absolutely nothing to worry about. As I said, Sonos still supports speakers that they released when the company first started, back in 2001/2002 time frame. Not a chance that the PLAY:1 will be deprecated any time soon.

Thanks and it's good to hear! Hope my PLAY 1 speakers can be used for another 10 years or more too!! But of course it doesn't mean that I'm not going to add anything new from the company in the future... I think I will add the IKEA lamp speaker to my system when available! :$:$
Heh. Glad I was able to alleviate your concern. When you get the IKEA devices, would love to see a review.

My only concern is if the PLAY 1 are still can be functioned as what they are after some years... because it will be a big headache for me if they are no longer working...

Don't worry, be happy:-).

There are already enough things to worry about in life around the things you can control and/or do something about.

Speaking as an owner of 4 play 1 units bought in 2014.

Don't worry, be happy:-).

There are already enough things to worry about in life around the things you can control and/or do something about.

Speaking as an owner of 4 play 1 units bought in 2014.

Haha Yes that's really true!! We are always living under pleasure and many things to worry about... SONOS is something that brings us joy and happiness, so just enjoy what we are having now! 🙂
Exactly. I expect my play 1 units to sing for many more years. When any stops, I will see then what best can be done.
I have 3 Play:1's and a Sonos One.

The wall mounting is far better on the 1's, the sound is nigh on identical.

The voice control on the One is surprisingly handy (use it in the Kitchen with wet hands etc), shame your country is not in the list.

I have used an Echo Dot to control our Playbar 5.1 system and Play:3 etc and that works well.

Shame you can't buy a UK Echo Dot (£25) to try if you can speak good English?.
I have 3 Play:1's and a Sonos One.

The wall mounting is far better on the 1's, the sound is nigh on identical.

The voice control on the One is surprisingly handy (use it in the Kitchen with wet hands etc), shame your country is not in the list.

I have used an Echo Dot to control our Playbar 5.1 system and Play:3 etc and that works well.

Shame you can't buy a UK Echo Dot (£25) to try if you can speak good English?.

Yes I know the voice control function is some kind of fun and make everything much more easier! 🙂 I'm in Hong Kong and yes it's unfortunate that we are not be able to enjoy this... English is not our mother language but I think I could speak and write fair English for communications... haha!!

By the way, SONOS is currently officially launched here in Hong Kong and I hope more and more people here can learn and realize how it makes music listening a joyful and essential element to our lives! 🙂
It isn't just about English, it is about Sonos not being as able as Amazon to have a global footprint being a lot smaller than Amazon. Amazon launched Alexa/Echo in India in October 2017, with voice control in English. But for Sonos to work in India via voice with Alexa, it needs to also be able to have server presence nearby as Amazon does, to avoid latency and delayed responses. As long as it does not have this presence, voice won't work as well as it does on Echo hardware in India.

I expect HK to be in the same boat and if English is an issue, that makes it even more complicated.