Question

I move around the world. Does the SONOS equipment use 110 or 220 power or is it dual voltage? Dual voltage would be best!

• 9 January 2014
  • 11 replies

I am currently considering making a major investment in SONOS equipment. I work for the State Department and move around the world. DOes the SONOS equipment use 110 or 220 power or is it dual voltage? DUal voltage would be best. Please let

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I have a Play:5 and a Bridge bought in the United State (110V 60Hz), and both work perfectly with the French voltage (230V 50Hz).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello JP,

Other than the CONNECT:AMP, all of the Sonos components have autoswitching power amps and work on both 110 and 220, you'll need power cables for the correct region. Please make sure you check the return and warranty policies here too.

Cheers.
Hi Ryan S, I'm in a similar position as JP. Two follow-up questions: 1. When you say "power cables" do you mean I'll need to rewire my Sonos speakers bought in the US, or can I just use a plug adapter? 2. For the CONNECT:AMP, I'll need to plug this into an actual voltage converter?
All you need for all units is the adapter to overcome the physical mismatch if you can't get the different cables. But Connect Amp also needs a switch to be toggled between 110 to 230 and back, no need of a converter. But be aware that this catches out many that forget the toggle and blow up the unit.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
All you need for all units is the adapter to overcome the physical mismatch if you can't get the different cables. But Connect Amp also needs a switch to be toggled between 110 to 230 and back, no need of a converter. But be aware that this catches out many that forget the toggle and blow up the unit.

Good point. As someone who often moves between 120v and 220/240v in the same country, I always change toggles on equipment to the higher voltage before I move it. It avoids forgetting to do it and frying things when I install them in a new place. I learned this the hard way with desktop computer power supplies. Fortunately they are cheap.
Does the Sonos One and Sonos work on 220v without any adapter to convert voltage from 220v to 110 v?

I purchased Sonos from US and travel in Europe where the voltage is 220v. Do I nees to buy a voltage converter from 220 to 110volts?

What will happen if I plug it in 220 volts voltage without any converter?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Your question was answered above.
Your question was answered above.
It says above that one switch is required to convert between 110 and 220. Means a converter is required????
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
No converter is required for any Sonos product. They all work with 110v and 230v. This includes the new Sonos One. Of course, you will need the correct plug or an adapter for the plug so it fits into the wall outlets in Europe (or wherever). One product, the Connect Amp, requires you to use a switch on the product to select the correct voltage. Others are automatic.
It says above that one switch is required to convert between 110 and 220. Means a converter is required????

Only one Sonos device, the Connect:Amp, requires you to manually switch. The others auto-switch between voltage standards. All you need to do is purchase the proper power cords for your destination. These are available from Sonos, call their sales office for help.