Skip to main content

I have had Sonos of about 4 years because I wanted to be able to relax to music and have a radio station alarm play early on a Saturday morning.

I also have a Ring doorbell and a wifi ‘net’ for my work.

I frequently lose connection to some of my speakers and every so often the speakers just ‘boing’ incessantly - usually at 06:15 when the alarm goes off.

I had numerous conversations with support who identified that Sonos and the latest BT router weren’t compatible.

I eventually got round that by hard wiring one speaker to the router (what’s the point of a wi-fi system that has to be hard wired!)

Even with that hard wired I still randomly lose connections from the speakers - almost as if they are throwing the connection around themselves.

Today we were woken by the dreaded ‘boings’ so I had to get up bleary eyed to try to resolve the issue. I can now get 2 out of 4 speakers working. I have done all the rebooting, reinstalling and I know when it’s good and ready it’ll start working again.

I am just so fed up with the constant issues.

I wanted to listen to music to relax but that could not be further from the reality of putting up with an expensive rubbish system that increases my anxiety levels!

I so wish I had gone with a different system!!!!

Strange: according to your previous posts, you had a stable system for three years, until you changed to a BT Hub. 

I’m not sure if you’re asking for help or just venting in frustration. Either way, the symptoms you’re describing do sound like wifi/network issues. 

When you chose to wire a single Sonos device to the router, did you perhaps also do the following?…

1. Set the BT routers WiFi to have different SSID’s for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi bands and set 2.4Ghz WiFi band to use a ‘fixed’ non-overlapping channel, either 1, 6 or 11 and if the router allows, also set it’s channel-width to 20Mhz only
  2. Ensure that the ‘Move’ was not using the 5Ghz band by removing that bands network credential from the Sonos App network settings, leaving all products to just operate on the 2.4Ghz band SSID only?
  3. Set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App so that it was not the same as your chosen routers 2.4Ghz channel?

If not, then maybe try those things to hopefully improve the wireless communication and reduce the potential for wireless interference.

Sorry you are experiencing problems with your speakers. The good thing about Sonos it that most people love their products which means they are in demand and pretty easy to sell at a price where you can get most of your money back.

I guess I was just having a rant!

I have got so used to the speakers doing “to you to me, to me to you” that I have actually stopped using Sonos because it annoys me so much.

the timer is set to come on so my husband can listen to Tony Blackburn fro 06:00 in the morning. It drove me mad this morning having to come to and sort it out.

I have decided if I get the ‘bing bonging’ again I am going to cut my losses and sell the 5 speakers I have and just keep the ‘move’.

I have so had enough of it!