Skip to main content

I have 2x Play:3 in white and the grey rubber has discoloured due to exposure to sunlight. What it the best way to restore it back to the original color?

For some reason the feet don't discolour 🤔

Hi @lewisc 

Thanks for your post!

Our Cleaning Sonos products help page may be of help to you, but UV damage - if that’s what it is - isn’t something you can just wipe off so it seems unlikely. There may be plastic-restoring products you could try, but I cannot recommend any - perhaps a car dashboard restorer?

I hope this helps.

UV damage results in physical changes in the color and possibly the finish texture. I don’t think that there is a practical way to reverse this process. I think that a final step in the build process applies a topcoat that has been damaged. You’d need to strip and reapply the topcoat, but there could also be damage to the layer under the topcoat.

It’s a contrarian approach, but you could swap the player locations and eventually they will begin to look similar.

I have used this trim restorer on my vehicle to return sun faded plastics to black.  It’s basically a temporary dye, rather than a cleaner.  It doesn’t last but a couple months on a car, but I would think would last much longer on an indoor product.  On a vehicle, it does seem to work better on harder plastics than the soft/rubbery pieces.  The dye is rather thin, so I wouldn’t put on a cheap rag and apply rather than put directly on your speaker.

To be clear, I have not used this on my own speakers and not guaranteeing it will work well. Just offering ideas.