Skip to main content
I have a pair of Play:1 speakers in one room and a pair of Play:3 in another. Due to room sizes, furniture, etc, I am considering mixing the pairs, one each Play:1 & Play:3. How do I reassign speakers?
You cannot do this, thankfully. Having unmatched speakers as a stereo pair should be a criminal offence, GBH on music.
I have a pair of Play:1 speakers in one room and a pair of Play:3 in another. Due to room sizes, furniture, etc, I am considering mixing the pairs, one each Play:1 & Play:3. How do I reassign speakers?

Hi there,

Welcome to the community. John B is correct in that you can't create a stereo pair with 2 different types of Sonos speakers. You can unpair your speakers, then group them together in any combination though. Just head into the Sonos settings menu and look under room settings for the pair. There you can separate them, and then move the speakers around as you wish. In the rooms menu you can click the group button to create any combination of grouped rooms. They won't have stereo separation, but they'll play together in unison.
Yes, grouping them as mono speakers (well, effectively mono in case of P:3s) would be a different matter from stereo pairing them. There is no harm in trying that, but I suspect the different tonal qualities of the different speakers will give unsatisfactory results, and your current arrangement is the best. Depending on how you listen to music, and where in the room, there may be a case for grouping rather than stereo pairing identical speakers. No harm in a bit of experimenting.
Thanks