Skip to main content

I’ve seen hundreds of posts on here with people that have a reasonable need for a headphone jack which Sonos has chosen to get rid of by making the play 5 G1 incompatible with the new controller. I see that people keep responding that Sonos has no obligation to those of us who need a headphone jack option because there isn’t a need from the mass. I love my Sonos sound system.  I have a speaker in every room of my house so I’m not here to badger Sonos but I believe that there is a market for incorporating a headphone jack.  They had one in the GEN one play five so why remove it in the later generation?  I, like others on here, have a unique, yet genuine, need for a headphone jack because regardless of whether we are the majority or minority, we all invested in Sonos and we like to listen to our music our own way. The application for me is that I have a drum set I play and I plug my headphones into the headphone jack of the ply 5 gen1 and use it as a monitor so I can play my drums along to the music playing throughout the house. Any other drummer on here will understand why a monitor is needed. Now I can’t even upgrade to the new controller unless I remove the one and only speaker that Gives me that capability. If anyone could suggest another application that would allow me to still listen to music in sync that’s playing throughout the house on either wireless or preferably wired headphones, I would love to understand how to accomplish that.

I’m considering this configuration but I don’t know that it’s gonna work. Remove the incompatible play five from the Sonos system but add a device like a port or a connect that I could use to still incorporate the play 5 into the system, thereby allowing me to still use the headphone jack in it. I keep reading that you can hook non-Sonos speakers through an adapter device so why could I not hook an incompatible Sonos speaker to the device? In This configuration the incompatible Sonos speaker would no longer be seen as a part of the system or at least that’s what I’m thinking. Can someone tell me if this would work?

oh and also, I don’t want to lose the speaker. It is in my game room which is very large and I have two ply fives in there and when I’m not playing drums I want to still have the ability to play music from that speaker that you can hear in the room

You can certainly use a Port or a Connect/gen2 to feed a headphone amp or transmitter. That will allow you to move to S2. 

As for hooking up the old Play:5/gen1 as a ‘dumb’ speaker via Line-In Autoplay, bear in mind that the sound would be delayed by at least 75ms so it wouldn’t play in sync with the main system.

Well delayed sync would defeat the purpose for sure. So you are saying trade up the G1 to a play 5 G2 and add a connect? Also is the transmitter a 3rd device I would have to add to plug the headphones into? Sorry just trying to be sure what all I need. I assume the connect, port or amp do not have headphone jacks either, correct?

None of the current Sonos products have a headphone jack.

The Port or Connect have line level analog (or digital) outputs. Whilst you could just about get away with driving small earphones directly off the analog outputs, any decent headphones will require more amplification. A small headphone amp need not be expensive.

If you wanted to use wireless headphones these would clearly require a basestation/transmitter. Beware the possibility of wireless delay knocking wireless headphones out of sync with any Sonos speakers used at the same time.