Answered

Era 100 wifi connectivity issues

• 30 September 2023
  • 2 replies

I just purchased 2 Era 100 speakers, and it seems like the WiFi available to me isnt supported by the Sonos app. My general question is, if I am able to connect via Bluetooth only, is there enough of a drop-off in sound quality that I should get something else wifi compatable or wired?

I am kind of moving around every few months, and therefore stay at a lot of hotels/resorts. It seems the hotel WiFi uses network access points unsupported by Sonos. The Era 100 can use Bluetooth, but apparently you still need to initially connect to some compatable WiFi to set up. Is it worth figuring that out anly being limited to Bluetooth use only?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 September 2023, 06:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

1) if I am able to connect via Bluetooth only, is there enough of a drop-off in sound quality that I should get something else wifi compatable or wired?

2) I am kind of moving around every few months, and therefore stay at a lot of hotels/resorts. It seems the hotel WiFi uses network access points unsupported by Sonos. The Era 100 can use Bluetooth, but apparently you still need to initially connect to some compatable WiFi to set up. Is it worth figuring that out anly being limited to Bluetooth use only?

1. It depends on your ears. There are some who swear the compression that is part of Bluetooth is just too much, and others who feel it’s fine. I tend to be in the second camp, I can listen to my Sonos Roam all day using Bluetooth. However, given the option, I’d still go with WiFi. Which brings us to 
  2. The Move and Roam must be set up using WiFi before they can connect to Bluetooth. However, if I was moving from hotel to hotel, I’d get a travel router, and use that to connect to the hotel’s WiFi, and connect my Sonos speakers to the travel router’s signal. Not onltpy a benefit of my own WiFi signal, but the additional security of no one else being able to connect to my Sonos. Granted, that’s not really a worry with Bluetooth, but certainly I’ve seen others who want to connect their Sonos directly to the hotel’s WiFi. 
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@ILikeMusic Bluetooth audio is fine.

If you grab two smartphones or tablets you can setup your speakers in the wifi of a personal Hotspot and you're good to go with Bluetooth. 

Thinking about it, I want it to be possible to register mobile Sonos products without local wifi access. I love my Roam, but the setup requirements are too limited for an "ultra-portable" speaker in my eyes.