End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The analogy of Sonos audio/nnetwork sync tech to Onenote is funny bordering on hilarious.

The analogy of Sonos audio/nnetwork sync tech to Onenote is funny bordering on hilarious.

Sure. Compared to the sophisticated comparisons to cars with Sonos I’m amateurish. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Not really. It's just the comparison attempt to a PC file sync that is ‘obviously' simpler and has no P2P - the irony being that is why there is a difference and what the clever part of Sonos depends on.

Userlevel 1

Well, I started the exodus from Sonos. With no more official communication, I disconnected a couple of my old Sonos speakers and bought two new HomePods from Apple. I will be giving away the old Sonos speakers to a family member as there is no way I would trade up for just 30% off. Hard to believe that only a few short months ago I was looking at adding more Sonos speakers after we moved to a new home. 

And now I can finally listen to music from my iPad again from a wireless speaker! I gave Sonos the benefit of the doubt when they removed this skill, but not anymore after this debacle. As Sonos speakers continue to degrade I will be removing more from the system. 

Well, I started the exodus from Sonos. With no more official communication, I disconnected a couple of my old Sonos speakers and bought two new HomePods from Apple. I will be giving away the old Sonos speakers to a family member as there is no way I would trade up for just 30% off. Hard to believe that only a few short months ago I was looking at adding more Sonos speakers after we moved to a new home. 

And now I can finally listen to music from my iPad again from a wireless speaker! I gave Sonos the benefit of the doubt when they removed this skill, but not anymore after this debacle. As Sonos speakers continue to degrade I will be removing more from the system. 

Not sure I would have bought Apple HomePod devices right now with the upcoming Spring announcement perhaps due this month and all the rumours that there might be an updated version of the 2year old device in the spring of 2020… there’s also rumour it might be getting cheaper, as sales have not been exactly overwhelming.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/homepod-2-3673666/

I would have maybe waited a month or two, as nothing is going to alter with Sonos anyway, at least until May 2020.

Having sat and played my son-in-laws HomePod, side by side, with a Sonos 'Move' (which is portable too) I far prefer the sound of the Move, but that’s maybe a personal thing and they are around the same price-tag.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Yep, I’ve gone too….  from a very early adopter with multiple zones and through to being a genuine ambassador for the brand.  My Sonos system is disconnected and I am currently listening to a pair of (very easy to connect to) Kef LSX speakers.  Far better sounding too.  

A link to what will be a flood of such issues; very few of them will surface here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/play-5-recycled-6837731#post16410304

It will be interesting to see the Sonos response to this new challenge.

What is also surprising is the complete silence from Sonos on this reversal that is now all over the net for more than 2 days; Sonos is heading into the “silence implies assent” territory here, if that many reports are indeed lies or fake news.

Is the recycle mode still there to be selected? What of those that do this selection now, in ignorance of the reversal, but before Sonos withdraws this selection from being made? Assuming of course that the reversal is true.

PS: this quoted in italics, from the BBC, so there isn't any doubt about this:

Sonos said people could now apply for the upgrade discount just by registering the serial number of their existing speaker.

"We also respect the customer's right to decide for themselves when a product has reached the end of its useful life. So, while we are fully committed to supporting customers that wish to recycle their old hardware, we removed the Recycle Mode requirement from the program," the company said in a statement.

What statement? Where is it to be found on this site?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What are the general rules for the trade in program.

I read somewhere that i would be able to use it to get 30% off on any sonos product.

So i would be able to get 30% off on a sonos sub, if i have a Play 5 1.gen for example

But what about if i have 3 Play 5 1.gen, can i combine those and get 90% off on one new product or is it one for one ?

If yes, it would be possible to buy 3 of those off of the internet, claim the 90% discount on their most expensive product, sell the 3 Play 5 1.gen at nearly the same price online afterwards, and then sell the new product i got.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yep, I’ve gone too….  from a very early adopter with multiple zones and through to being a genuine ambassador for the brand.  My Sonos system is disconnected and I am currently listening to a pair of (very easy to connect to) Kef LSX speakers.  Far better sounding too.  

To be honest i think this will be Sonos single most serious problem.

The amont of people that went from “I need to expand my setup, what sonos speaker will suit my needs” to “What else is on the market”.

6 months ago i would not even have looked at alternatives, because i was so heavily invested into Sonos, and the “only” solution if i wanted to expand, would be a sonos, to go with the rest of my sonos.

Now this has changed to “There is no way in HELL, that i am going to give sonos any more of my money…...Oh and look, there are actually a lot of other alternatives, that seem way smarter, better and in some instances even cheaper”.

Sonos has turned me, from being an avid Sonos supporter, to a “Never sonos again”.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Ditto from me to ,

You absolutely nailed it ,,,,,

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

And as for this 30% RRP magical discount .…

30% off the RECOMENDED RETAIL PRICE  Is total nonsense … nobody but nobody ever pays the manufactures full advertised price 

The discount should be higher ….. say 50% . Right now it's costing Sonos NOTHING for their trade in at 30% 

I believe that they even raised the RRP on some of their kit before offering a discount ?

As I said before ..its all been ploy to sell new kit and make even more money .. all been planned right from the very start .…

My eyes have been opened and I've seen the light … I will NOT be investing in ANY new Sonos kit in the future …..never mind any so called special discount 

The amont of people that went from “I need to expand my setup, what sonos speaker will suit my needs” to “What else is on the market”.

6 months ago i would not even have looked at alternatives, because i was so heavily invested into Sonos, and the “only” solution if i wanted to expand, would be a sonos, to go with the rest of my sonos.

Now this has changed to “There is no way in HELL, that i am going to give sonos any more of my money…...Oh and look, there are actually a lot of other alternatives, that seem way smarter, better and in some instances even cheaper”.

Sonos has turned me, from being an avid Sonos supporter, to a “Never sonos again”.

I agree; I was one of those Sonos fans; and I still am, but of the tech, not of the management and that, at more than just the CEO level. And in more than one way; for lack of marketing smarts and for the deeper integrity issues that surfaced in this fiasco.

But while a fan of the tech, I have always wondered how in a field with such rapid progress, Sonos remained a tech leader on the strength of what essentially is a 2002 or so innovation, for over a decade. But there was no real incentive or motivation for me to look outside the Sonos product portfolio, because that covered all bases for me. 

Sonos blundered in changing that blinkered view starting with the delay in releasing the Alexa integration for India; Amazon released Alexa here in Oct 2017, and Sonos still has not followed in those footsteps even today. That led me to Echo and the realisation that there are many ways to skin the “multi room, streaming music from the net” cat, some that are better than Sonos in many ways. As soon as I saw how well Echo worked, and how easily the line in jacks on Sonos kit allowed for these solutions to bolt on to Sonos in the exact same way that Sonos Connect/Connect Amps bolted on to the kit that Sonos obsoleted in 2005, I changed the way I saw Sonos: it stopped being the no brainer recommendation. 

I became neutral towards Sonos then, but the way they threatened, however briefly, to put my Connect and Connect Amps out of commission turned me to becoming anti Sonos, from being just neutral. Of course, Spence did some back-pedalling on Jan 23, and then this latest back-pedalling, but Sonos management has lost credibility in my eyes. I no longer trust them, even when they now say that my Connect/Connect Amps will continue to function the way they do today, playing nice with my play 1 units as long as I am willing to give up on new features for the latter. I have therefore set my systems such that these will continue to work till the end of hardware life even if Sonos continues to break their most recent promises made in connection with these.

And obviously, I will never again recommend any buy of any system/product that does not have a cheap smart module that can be replaced every 3-4 years without any financial stress. And not just in the field of home audio.

The reason Sonos removed the ability to play music files stored on your ipad is because Apple changed their iOS in a way that prevented the feature from working correctly.    Apple came out with airplay 2 and the homepod, which uses airplay 2 for the ability to play music from your ipad  Most of the modern Sonos speakers also have airplay 2 capability and can play from your ipad the same as the homepod.

A long post from me, explaining my reasons for this exact change, has gone into the spam filter.

Also, I expand the “never Sonos again”, to never again a smart audio system that does not have a cheap and easily replaceable smart front end. For instance, I would not hesitate to buy or recommend Echo Dots, or even the cheap Show 5, but never something like the Echo Studio or Echo Sub.

And a link to an article that is another example why looking to not buy expensive integrated smart solutions/products is the smart thing to do in future:

https://www.slashgear.com/signify-philips-hue-bridge-end-of-support-owner-reaction-06612426/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A long post from me, explaining my reasons for this exact change, has gone into the spam filter.

Also, I expand the “never Sonos again”, to never again a smart audio system that does not have a cheap and easily replaceable smart front end. For instance, I would not hesitate to buy or recommend Echo Dots, or even the cheap Show 5, but never something like the Echo Studio or Echo Sub.

And a link to an article that is another example why looking to not buy expensive integrated smart solutions/products is the smart thing to do in future:

https://www.slashgear.com/signify-philips-hue-bridge-end-of-support-owner-reaction-06612426/

I did not invest in any Hue products for that very reason.

The difference i feel, between a Hue bulb and a Sonos speaker, is that the price of a sonos speaker is a lot higher than the price of a sonos speaker, and also, a bulb has always been a disposable item, whereas this has never been true with regards to speakers and sound systems.

Looking at that graph that shows how much ram and rom each sonos speaker has, it is clear that they target the units with 32Mbyte ram and rom

It is also clear that the next speakers in line will the the ones that have only 64 Mbyte.

This means that the Play 1, the play 3 & Connect amp are next in line and anyone pondering, whether or not to go for the 30% off, should take a good hard look at their current setup, and be aware that in a few years they will have to do the same, all over again with their 1, 3 and Connect amp products.

Not to mention the Play 5 2.gen they want you to buy instead of the 1.gen...It has only got 256 Mbyte, and rumours has it that there is a 3.gen play 5 being made, so if i get a Play 5 2.gen, to replace my 1.gen Play 5, i might have to do it all over again in 5 years time.

And yes….I am also looking at something that has a speaker, and amplifier, and then i can buy some more inexpensive hardware to do the actual music streaming, that can be just changed for cheap, the day it stops being supported.

Funny that people was mad that they had to scrap their hue bridge that cost 60USD to replace, but Sonos thought that making people change speakers that cost multiple hundred dollars, would be fine.

TBH i think sonos has been living in a bubble, where they convinced themselves, that they were a bit like apple, and the “followers” would loyally and blindly follow the advice of sonos.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Airplay ist a different matter. Airplay requires a 64bit processor built into, it’s hardware-related. Playback via Airplay is initiated and controlled by an iOS device while grouping still occurs within the Sonos app between devices running on the same Sonos firmware build.

Please advise which Sonos products are running 64bit processors?

Any of the Sonos devices marked as AirPlay 2 receiving devices.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

And your source for this info?

Logic? If AirPlay 2 requires a 64 bit processor, logic dictates that if a Sonos device can act as an AirPlay 2 receiver, it must have a 64 bit processor.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Logic? If AirPlay 2 requires a 64 bit processor, logic dictates that if a Sonos device can act as an AirPlay 2 receiver, it must have a 64 bit processor.

I’m just looking for the facts, if you don’t have them, that’s fine.  I’m sure you wouldn’t let someone else just get away with a ‘using logic’ statement.  

No, assuming the logic is valid, I certainly would. 

In addition to the Airplay2 devices, the newer hardware Play:1 speakers are also 64bit iirc. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

In addition to the Airplay2 devices, the newer hardware Play:1 speakers are also 64bit iirc. 

OK, what is the processor?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OK, what is the processor?

Probably some arm processor.

But knowing that some speakers have 32 bit processors and some have 64 bit, makes everything a little more interesting.

Sonos says that they need the same firmware versions to run in all speakers….But surely the speakers with 32 and 64 bit will not actually be running the same firmware, even though both firmwares have the same firmware number.