Distance of Play 1s from Playbar

• 21 August 2017
  • 8 replies

Hi there,
We're setting up a new living room and have a query about distance of play 1s connected to a playbar.

Based on our layout people sitting on the sofa will be 2.6m away from the playbar.

The problem is with speakers on the opposite side of the room the play 1s will be 5 meters away. Is that too far? Want to avoid adding more speakers in the ceiling but worried they will be too far away.

Thanks!!
David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I don't think it would be an issue. Why don't you try it and see how you feel about it?
It's a new build so we're passing wiring... and will be difficult to change later 🙂
Understood, but the benefit of Sonos is that it can be either wired with ethernet cable, or operate wirelessly. I've been using two pairs of Play:1s wirelessly with my 2 Playbars for years, and never had an issue.
They will be wireless in this case but I need to prepare power connections since they will be attached to the ceiling. At this point I am just wondering if anyone else used Play 1s at 5m distance for surround.
Mine are about 4.572 meters away from the Playbar. However, not from my head. Are you worried about the sound for Surround? You can adjust the volume of them in the advanced settings. I wouldn't be worried about doing it the way you are doing it, I've done it before in a previous home, without issue.
Awesome thanks! That's super helpful to know.
Looking at your diagram, it looks like you're also planning on placing 2 speakers in the front. Were you thinking these would be 2 non-surround P1s (or other sonos speakers) bonded with your playbar? If so, Sonos doesn't work that way. The playbar itself covers all of the front speakers you need, and can set up. If you setup speakers there, it would be as a separate zone.

Although I would say it's still not a bad idea to provide power to those locations, if it's ever needed.

Also, although I agree with Bruce that you can setup your surround speakers this way, It's going to be a little challenging getting the volume right since you essentially have 2 listening areas. in the room, the sofa and the dining table. For the setup you have, when watching the tv from the sofa, your surround speakers are going to be fairly loud. That could mean that it's too loud for someone in the dining area. And maybe that's not a problem. When listening to music, you may have same issue. It's going to be hard to get the right volume in both the sofa and dining table. You can do it like this (mine is actually very similar, though not as deep) and you'll be fine...just saying.

But, if you're already set on getting 4 P1s and can put power where ever you want, I would take the ones you have in the front and put them slightly behind the sofa as the surrounds. Then have the 2 in the back as a separate zone for the dining room.

Also, are you planning on getting a SUB? If so, I think behind the couch would be a great location, if you can mange to get power setup there.
Heyya! The front speakers were planned for when we entertain. In this case we would play music on all the 1s. Is this possible? Just realized I am assuming we can play music to the 1s associated with the playbar.

As for the surround we would only use the back speakers for ppl sitting on the sofas... so volume would only need to ppl sitting there.

Thanks for the tip about the SUB – we are planning to have one :)

David