Skip to main content
I own 8 sonos speakers and 2 of them are 5s. One just died on me last week. I spoke to a service rep at Sonos to learn that I have a « deal » on a replacement unit at $550 to replace my 3 year old speaker. Frankly, this is very disappointing and frustrating. I paid over $500 for this speaker already. I am not willing to spend another $500 to replace after just 3 years. What happens if my second 5 also breaks down. The different forums indicate a problem that is quite common on this speaker. What can I do. RMA 00548098-00073640
There's not much you can do. Apple has a similar replacement policy, once one of their computers goes bad out of warranty, you have to pay them as well, and of course a Sonos speaker isn't just a speaker, it's also a computer. And there's no authorized service repair, either.

There are some folks who do DIY repair who post in the Advanced Setups area of the forum, if you're willing to pop it open yourself and try some surgery, but once you open it, I don't think you're able to get that replacement unit from Sonos any more.
Too late for you now but a place like Square Trade will sell you an extended warranty for a very good price.
I will try another option. A 600$ speaker that lasts 3 years makes no sense and constitutes a breach of service by a manufacturer since it cannot be repaired.
I will try another option. A 600$ speaker that lasts 3 years makes no sense and constitutes a breach of service by a manufacturer since it cannot be repaired.

I suggest you seek out a lawyer. Let us know how it goes.
in Italy, an out-of-warranty replacement is proposed at just over half of the initial purchase price. an example ... play: 3 regenerated at 200 euros with a two-year warranty. Price for new is 299 euro.
also... First gen play 5 can be replace with 2 gen... But i don't know operation price.