Answered

Can you connect more than one Sonos Roam via Bluetooth

Show first post

57 replies

Thanks guys, this sounds pretty easy and this tip should allow us to listen to good music in stereo in the beach without lugging my much larger JBL Extreme Bluetooth speakers.

Sonos really needs to address this shortcoming, just no excuse for such a limitation with a higher end product like the Roam when much cheaper options have no issues streaming stereo over Bluetooth. Anyone willing to pay Sonos prices does so because they have a deep appreciation for SQ, and most anyone in that portion of the market will typically be less than satisfied with mono. It’s really inexplicable that they still haven’t addressed this at this point. 

Many thanks for the workaround.

Another ‘similar’ option is to connect the mobile device to a rechargeable dual Bluetooth transmitter that can connect/stream to two (Roam) devices simultaneously. It means stereo audio plays on both speakers, but I find that works fine for outdoor use. Here’s an example (selected at random) from Amazon, but there are many others to choose from…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONRU-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Adapter-Black/dp/B0BD89GRW1

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Man this is frustrating. So I’m at the beach and don’t have the second cell phone on me so can’t do the hotspot workaround. All I’m trying to do is to get both Roams to play a mono signal. Holding the Play button on the second Roam does nothing.

I’m assuming I need to trudge back up to the rental house, find wifi again, separate the previously established stereo pair between these two speakers (which you can’t do when not connected to wifi), and then the Group function will work?

Since I’m on a different wifi (rental house) I don’t even know if that will work.

They should have called these Roam speakers NoRoams…

Man this is frustrating. So I’m at the beach and don’t have the second cell phone on me so can’t do the hotspot workaround. All I’m trying to do is to get both Roams to play a mono signal. Holding the Play button on the second Roam does nothing.

I’m assuming I need to trudge back up to the rental house, find wifi again, separate the previously established stereo pair between these two speakers (which you can’t do when not connected to wifi), and then the Group function will work?

Since I’m on a different wifi (rental house) I don’t even know if that will work.

They should have called these Roam speakers NoRoams…

If you don’t have the right kit with you, then there’s little anyone can do to assist. It’s been mentioned here in the community ‘many’ times, to either use a dual Bluetooth transmitting device (some android mobile phones support this), or a mobile hotspot, or MiFi device. If you don’t have any of those with you, then you can only play the Bluetooth stream to one Roam only. Anyone of the things mentioned will allow you to play to two Roams (or a good many more speakers in some instance).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

No, you’ve missed the point, according to prior posts on this thread you’re supposed to be able to group two Roams and play mono Bluetooth signal to both without any additional transmitting devices. If this is not correct than prior posts above are incorrect.

No, you’ve missed the point, according to prior posts on this thread you’re supposed to be able to group two Roams and play mono Bluetooth signal to both without any additional transmitting devices. If this is not correct than prior posts above are incorrect.

I’ve looked back over the thread and the Staff put it forward as a feature request and the rest of the thread is mostly about pairing/grouping and playing back the Bluetooth audio to all when on WiFi or mobile WiFi .. that’s how I read things, at least. I don’t think I’m missing the point here.

‘grouping’ only occurs over a WiFi connection.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Apologies, might have been another thread or I might have missed the wifi references.

As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, the Sonos Roam does not support daisy chaining or connecting multiple Roam speakers in mono or stereo via Bluetooth.

It's designed primarily for individual portable use, and while it can connect with other Sonos speakers using Wi-Fi for a multi-room audio experience, this feature is limited when using Bluetooth.

However, Sonos may have released firmware updates or new products with additional features since then.

To get the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the capabilities of the Sonos Roam, I recommend visiting the official Sonos website or checking the user manual for the latest details or any software updates that might have been introduced since my last update.