Can't connect

• 25 November 2022
  • 8 replies

What is the best way to totally destroy my Sonos Play 1 speaker. I am so tired of it losing connection to my wireless and losing connection to my Google assistant. Then the ap is terrible trying to get it reconnected. Good sound. But will sound better when I run it over with my car.

8 replies

Run over your router instead, because the likely cause is a screwed up network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Run over your router instead, because the likely cause is a screwed up network.

But otherwise: send it to me. I promise never to return it to you, so it’s as good as destroyed for you. 

Userlevel 7

Unplug the Play:1 from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router. If possible, wire the Play:1 directly to your router with an ethernet cable.

Thank you for your warm suggestions. the fact is I have numerous smart devices ranging from typical televisions and laptops to security system w/camera’s, clocks, thermostat, Alexa, Google, other brand speakers, light switches, etc. They all have worked fine. Regardless I spent a significant amount on a new modem and a new router a few weeks ago - because of the Sonos problem. Reconnected everything in my house, including the Sonos. Two weeks later, the Sonos won’t connect or play again. Research shows me that I am not the only one with this complaint. I will not spend another afternoon going through multiple reconnection steps for this speaker. So while I apologize for expressing my frustration yesterday, I will get my best satisfaction resolving the issue my way. 

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thank you for your warm suggestions. the fact is I have numerous smart devices ranging from typical televisions and laptops to security system w/camera’s, clocks, thermostat, Alexa, Google, other brand speakers, light switches, etc. They all have worked fine. Regardless I spent a significant amount on a new modem and a new router a few weeks ago - because of the Sonos problem. Reconnected everything in my house, including the Sonos. Two weeks later, the Sonos won’t connect or play again. Research shows me that I am not the only one with this complaint. I will not spend another afternoon going through multiple reconnection steps for this speaker. So while I apologize for expressing my frustration yesterday, I will get my best satisfaction resolving the issue my way. 

Regards,

Your research probably also revealed that many problems similar to yours can be resolved. The fact that your system worked for 2 weeks rather confirms that. 

By all means give up and take the action you wish. Personally, once I had taken advice from these forums, including assigning reserved ip addresses for my Sonos devices, all has been good here. Reserving ip addresses resolves duplicate ip conflicts, which seems to be the cause of many issues. 

Good luck, whichever route you take. 

Considering myself more tenacious than pathetic, can you tell me how to reserve an IP address for the speaker when used in a wireless system. Mind you that, while I can hammer my way through much of this kind of thing, it is not my strong area…  The greatest reward of success come from the most difficult things to overcome. So I am willing to give it another shot. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Unfortunately, whilst the process is the same, the actual differs from router manufacture to manufacture. 
You’ll need Admin access to your router. If you look up “how to reserve ip addresses” online there are generic guides. Or tell us what make/model your new router is, and maybe someone here can give you the specific steps. 

Not home right now. Will give this one more try this evening.

Regards