Skip to main content
I have a Playbar and 2 Play:1s for a 5.0 setup. Soon will add a sub. As has been discussed over and over on this forum, this setup is great for HT but less than ideal for music. I'm keen on bringing in Play:5's for music duty only. I have an open floor plan with a dining flowing right into my family room. My question is, can I create rooms in the sonos app such that:

Dining room: Play:5 x 2 + SUB (same sub as Family Room)

Family room: Playbar + Play:1 x 2 + SUB (same sub as Dining Room)

In other words, there is only one SUB.
No. It would require you to reconfigure the Sub for each room every time you wish to switch, which is not trivial.
Oh thats a bummer. So what would be the best setup for music and HT?
Well, the Playbar setup allows you to set the surrounds to 'Full' for music sources. That would give you full volume out of the surrounds, along with the Sub and Playbar, whenever you choose a non-TV source. Not ideal because the Playbar is still in the mix, but you would get surround sound for the TV and full volume stereo for music out of whatever speaker you choose for the surrounds.
I do not like the surrounds on "full" for music, frontstage disappears.
Then I guess the only option is to buy another Sub, or designate the Sub you have to music and go without for TV.
Been begging ( there i said it, aint too proud) for the function to disable the bar in a 5.1 setup.

Still waiting...

I can disable the sub, the rears why not the sub, maybe a mute function and required DSP.
Been begging ( there i said it, aint too proud) for the function to disable the bar in a 5.1 setup.

Still waiting...

I can disable the sub, the rears why not the sub, maybe a mute function and required DSP.

I'm not sure that would do it. Why would you want 5.1 for music? I'm looking for 2.1 for music and 5.1 for HT. To do this in a single room profile, you'd need a playbar, 2 x play:5 (or play:3 or play:1), and a SUB, plus you'd need to put 2 x play:3 (or play:5) in the front for 2.1 music-only duty. Then for music, you'd need to disable the playbar AND the rears. This is assuming that the system would even allow you to add all the aforementioned speakers to a single room- I doubt it would. Instead, what we need is two profiles regardless of the actual physical configuration of your space. Call it family room music and family room movies, or whatever. The profile would retain the appropriate autotune settings for that speaker configuration, and done. Why this isn't possible with the existing software is silly. It shouldn't matter how many physical speakers you have- the configuration should be based entirely on profile and allow you to save them as you like. Come on sonos, get with it and realize that your playbar is not adequate for music and make this necessary update on the software side.
I misread. Disabling the bar would bring us to 5.1-3.0=2.1 *however* the 2.0's will now be *behind* you and that ruins this solution.
Exactly what I am looking to do ;(

Still waiting...

I'm not sure that would do it. Why would you want 5.1 for music? I'm looking for 2.1 for music and 5.1 for HT. To do this in a single room profile, you'd need a playbar, 2 x play:5 (or play:3 or play:1), and a SUB, plus you'd need to put 2 x play:3 (or play:5) in the front for 2.1 music-only duty. Then for music, you'd need to disable the playbar AND the rears. This is assuming that the system would even allow you to add all the aforementioned speakers to a single room- I doubt it would. Instead, what we need is two profiles regardless of the actual physical configuration of your space. Call it family room music and family room movies, or whatever. The profile would retain the appropriate autotune settings for that speaker configuration, and done. Why this isn't possible with the existing software is silly. It shouldn't matter how many physical speakers you have- the configuration should be based entirely on profile and allow you to save them as you like. Come on sonos, get with it and realize that your playbar is not adequate for music and make this necessary update on the software side.