Breaking in Speakers

• 30 November 2023
  • 8 replies

From my experience, the best Sound Experience requires an initial phase of “breaking in” the Speakers to expand the ranges and to develop the sound Maturity.

Is this recommended for Sonos products?  (i.e. Running very dynamic bass and challenging treble albums in repeat to open up the Sound Range & Spectrum)

Any suggestions in this regard as well?  Thanks! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I consider that a myth.  I was a believer until I worked at a mid to high end audio place and realized the oft recommended “break-in” period not-so-mysteriously coincided with the “no questions asked” return period.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My Sonos have worked well right out of the box.

I consider that a myth.  I was a believer until I worked at a mid to high end audio place and realized the oft recommended “break-in” period not-so-mysteriously coincided with the “no questions asked” return period.  

Appreciate the perspective, I would also couple the concept with what we know as “proper” breaking in and where not to just blow out the speakers 😁 

But honestly curious to hear on other opinions, am encouraged that some believe out of box is capable of producing maximum spectrum of sound ,.. just have some doubts

My opinion mirrors @jgatie . I’ve always been suspicious of a ‘break in’ period, although more because, at least in my perception, it coincided with the psychological adjustment to what was being heard. You get used to it. 

And, as @Stanley_4 suggests, I’ve never perceived any need to kbreak in’ my Sonos, they’ve all been outstanding directly out of the box.

If you wanted, you could attribute that to better materials used these days, but I still think my original statement holds a lot of water. 

Audiophiles believe that even cables have to burn in. In older times, there may have been a case for speaker break in with the materials used for cones/cone surrounds, but even then it was hard to separate the burn in period with the time it took for the brain to get used to the new sound. No one to my knowledge has even done a blind test comparing a “ burnt in “ speaker with a brand new one of the same make/model.

Yes Kumar,
This is also the realm of understanding as well and perspective. 
Would be great to hear any official statements from Sonos regarding this theory.

And to be clear, when traditionally performing break-in, obviously I wouldnt be in the same room as the Sound Experiments thus remaining outside the influence of iterative brain learning of sound spectrum

I think there could be clear and impartial technical tests to demonstrate the concepts being discussed here around spectrum ranges and performance

Your profile lists only Ray and Roam. Without wishing to offend anyone, I don’t suppose either would lay claim to the label “audiophile”.

I remember mulling over buying a CD that was filled with recorded noise. It was to be played to break in the speakers. One had to let it play for ten hours, out of human hearing. I did not fall for that one, though I can’t say the same for much other nonsense.