Question

Best Way to Connect Play:5 to TV?

• 31 August 2017
  • 7 replies

I have just purchased a Play:5 for my new apartment. In addition to listening to music, I would also like to connect it to the TV in our living room. What is the best method for doing this? Also, once connected to TV, will it be easy to toggle between TV Audio and normal music streaming? My roommate has also purchased a Play:3 for the apartment. Will both devices play the TV audio once the Play:5 is connected? Thanks for any and all guidance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
There is a line-in socket on the PLAY:5 to which you can connect an external device. There is a small delay whilst the input is converted and buffered for Sonosnet. This may cause lipsync issues between the audio and picture.

If configured this way, you can output the line-in source from any or all Sonos players in your household - like the Play:3 you describe.

The lipsync problem is quite annoying and I wouldn't recommend this set-up because of this but if they just want to hear commentary from the baseball or something it's OK. You will hear the click of the ball long after you see the bat hit it though.
BEST way is to purchase a PlayBar/Base. Audio can then be routed to any Sonos device without lipsync issues.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
BEST way is to purchase a PlayBar/Base. Audio can then be routed to any Sonos device without lipsync issues.

That's a very expensive option though, I'd recommend looking at alternatives.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I have my Gen 1 Play 5 set up this way, connected to a Samsung TV. It works perfectly for me with no sync issues. I also adjusted the auto volume setting in the app so when i switch between tv and music, there's no jump in sound.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have my Gen 1 Play 5 set up this way, connected to a Samsung TV. It works perfectly for me with no sync issues. I also adjusted the auto volume setting in the app so when i switch between tv and music, there's no jump in sound.

Samsung introduces its own delay by video processing. I used to have a similar set-up and, whilst Sonos delayed the audio, Samsung often delayed the video in a similar way and they were close. Not perfect but OK for a kitchen TV.
Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll be connecting it to a Vizio TV. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow when the Play:5 arrives.
Badge
Yes, you could use the AUX port on the back of the PLAY:5 and connect it to your TV directly with an AUX Cord, if your TV has an AUX Port (It's normally Green and may have the Headphone Symbol on it) If you don't have an AUX Port on your TV, then you could almost certainly find the appropriate adapter on Amazon. To connect to the PLAY:3 you would have to set it up on the same account, in the same room. You do this by opening the Menu, tapping Settings, tapping Add a Player or SUB and following the list. Hope this helps, Rupert