Skip to main content
Honestly, I'm so annoyed with Sonos customer support. I logged an issue a few weeks ago saying that I couldnt connect to my Sonos wifi speaker, and have still not had the issue resolved. I was dealing with an employee called Damian who just stopped emailing me when I asked to talk to his line manager - his emails were averaging at one a day (if even) and they weren't particularly helpful. When I begged him to resolve it before the weekend, it didnt seem to hasten his responses. So I logged a new issue with Sonos about a week ago and have still heard nothing. Atrocious. Why bother getting a wifi speaker if it is so temperamental. Bose offer a bluetooth connection which is so useful if there are problems connecting to wifi. This issue is STILL NOT RESOLVED and I've been without my music for a couple of months now. BAD.

So my Sonos is connecting to the ethernet cable but when I detach it and try the wifi it wont connect using my phone or laptop. Im concerned because it's an old phone Im using but surely it would connect to the laptop. I filed a diagnostic with Damian but he didnt seem bothered. I tried ALL of the suggestions on the app (including reinstalling the app) but nothing. SO what should I do?
I don't know what you mean when you say it doesn't connect, but my first thought after reading your post is that your router might have wireless isolation turned on, meaning wireless devices cannot communicate with each other. This is a common default setting on many wireless routers and access points.
So my Sonos is connecting to the ethernet cable but when I detach it and try the wifi it wont connect using my phone or laptop.

Which Sonos model is it? PLAY:5?
There aren't many settings on my router. I see a wifi button which is flashing and a WPS button which is not. So not even sure how to turn wireless isolation off.

I just remembered the tech guy said I should change my settings to private connection - I did but that didn't help. I have a Sonos Play 3 speaker.
Hi blady123, I just took a look at the case notes and I wanted to ask a few questions, when the system has the PLAY:3 connected with Ethernet, it shows up on your Sonos devices, correct? Can you do so again and submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

I took a look at the diagnostics so far and both of them only show the controller, not the PLAY:3 on it.

I've passed on the ticket to someone to look into on our end to investigate what went wrong and how this could have been handled better.
I currently have the same issue, PLAY:3 shows up with cable but not on wifi on my iPad, iPhone works perfectly fine...
I'd certainly recommend that you contact Sonos in another way to discuss it. They'll probably ask you for the diagnostic number.
So Sonos have now helped me with this issue and it's working now. Was such a simple thing really and something I had forgotten. I'm so used to systems connecting to wifi automatically that when I moved back home I thought it would automatically reconnect to the wifi I had been using. But I needed to manually reconnect it again in Advanced Settings. The diagnostic picked up that it was connecting to the wrong wifi. A simple thing, but might help others who forget to reconnect. A thank you to customer support in the end for resolving this finally.
PhiWin I hope you get yours sorted, let us know how it goes 🙂