Arc Gen 2 in 2023?

• 24 June 2023
  • 29 replies

Its now 2023, about a year after the previous Arc Gen 2 query was posted and closed, so making a new one. 

Any news/rumours/updates of an ETA?

We thinking by end of this year or most likely 2024?

AjTrek1 10 months ago

Hi

Sonos doesn’t post information about product development nor release dates. Rumors are just what they are…rumors. Not the answer you wanted but why start a rumor about Arc-gen2. 😁

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Sonos doesn’t post information about product development nor release dates. Rumors are just what they are…rumors. Not the answer you wanted but why start a rumor about Arc-gen2. 😁

Rumours are better than nothing. 

if anyone hears/notices anything theres a place to share it here 😁

Userlevel 7

Rumours are better than nothing. 

if anyone hears/notices anything theres a place to share it here 😁

So you like having false/unverified hope 😂

Given the click bait style of the title of this thread, giving potentially false hope to everyone, I’d suggest it’s extremely unlikely for a new Arc to be released in 2023…

It might be more fruitful to discuss what changes you’d like to see in a new version. 

Appears Sonos cut a chunk of their workforce recently, wonder if it will impact/delay future products they are working on or stock levels of current stock?

Given the click bait style of the title of this thread

whoops, should of put a ? At the end of the title name, not sure if it will let me change it now. 

Rumors circulate and people sign on to whatever they believe or wish. The most reliable indicator occurs about 30 days before product introduction when certification for the unit is released by the registration authorities. Approximately at that time various “leaks” start slipping out -- some “leaks” are very polished.

Sorry all false alarm,

Sonos seems to be refreshing their products on a 4 yearly cycle, so should be a new Arc next year ~ June/July 24. 

Sorry all false alarm,

Sonos seems to be refreshing their products on a 4 yearly cycle, so should be a new Arc next year ~ June/July 24. 

This is incorrect.  Sonos creates a gen 2 of a particular speaker when it makes sense to do so, not on any arbitrary plan. The Arc’s predecessor, Playbar, lasted 7 years without any changes.

The reasons Sonos does these sort of upgrades...

• Incorporate new tech that has already been well tested in other speakers. So the Move 2 got a bluetooth and aux input upgrade to match the Era speakers, as well as the dual tweeter that Era 100 has.
  • Update the styliing to match latest speaker lineup.  Move got new style of hardware ‘buttons’ plus a new color, since colors seem to work well on the Roam.  When the Play”5 became the Five, a slight change in look was probably the biggest difference.
  • Update internal hardware.  This is done to lower manufacturing costs and/or allow for future firmware updates.  This happened with Sonos One awhile back.  It got a Gen 2 upgrade with no new functionality whatsoever.

The Arc doesn’t really need any of these types of changes. Sure, they could add an aux input, bluetooth, update style, but these are really minor changes that wouldn’t drive more sales. It would not motivate anyone to replace their Arc with the new version.   I would expect Sonos to wait for more changes before creating an Arc 2.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Why would the arc need an update, there is no new breakthrough feature like Atmos that it doesn't support 

other manufacturers might refresh their soundbars every year that doesn't mean Sonos should 

With the era speakers sonos has finally acknowledged bluetooth.

I want to use Bluetooth headphones to arc.

I want to connect my pc to arc (same room but with monitor) via Bluetooth or 2nd hdmi, so I can work not rely on internal laptop speakers and also play music/audiobooks..

Sony is stepping up their non-playbar/a9 approach, and it's time for sonos to modernise (please;-)

Userlevel 7

With the era speakers sonos has finally acknowledged bluetooth.

I want to use Bluetooth headphones to arc.

I want to connect my pc to arc (same room but with monitor) via Bluetooth or 2nd hdmi, so I can work not rely on internal laptop speakers and also play music/audiobooks..

Sony is stepping up their non-playbar/a9 approach, and it's time for sonos to modernise (please;-)

Your request for BT is reasonable and will probably happen with an Arc Gen2 given Sonos trajectory to include BT on non-portable speakers. However I don’t see how adding  an HDMI input would bring value in your proposed situation unless you intend to have a cable running between your PC and the Arc???. Defeats the wireless solution for Sonos IMO. 

I have a hdmi cable in the wall by the desk to behind the TV, and logitech 4k webcam on top of TV (with wxtension lead)

Bluetooth would do the job perfectly from laptop as long as stable for teams meetings etc.  Laptop is in thunderbolt Dock with lid closed so speakers both rubbish and muffled.

Seems unlikely that Sonos would move away from ARC, and add the expense of multiple HDMI interpreters into their hardware, but who knows.

Badge +1

There are probably Sonos users out there who don’t own an Arc, but are looking for a soundbar. They surely would be more interested in buying an updated version than in a 4 year old hardware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So what is wrong for your use case with the four year old hardware in the Arc? What would newer hardware improve?

Just an outsider looking in and seriously considering going all-in after considering the Nakamichi Dragon…It would be incredible if Sonos allowed capability of separates with a solid atmos center channel that also performs receiver functions like their current soundbars. The center channel would have half of the arc drivers (4 front and 4 upward firing) yet double the processing power to achieve 2 Era 100s/300s/Fives as front left, right and 2 Era 100s/300s/Fives as rear surrounds. I do understand that this may just be impossible considering my minuscule purview of audio engineering/software capabilities. Just my thoughts and audio wanderlust. 

In keeping with the topic of the post, I would also like to see a refresh of the arc to include Bluetooth, 2.1 HDMI passthrough and DTS:X. 

Just an outsider looking in and seriously considering going all-in after considering the Nakamichi Dragon…It would be incredible if Sonos allowed capability of separates with a solid atmos center channel that also performs receiver functions like their current soundbars. The center channel would have half of the arc drivers (4 front and 4 upward firing) yet double the processing power to achieve 2 Era 100s/300s/Fives as front left, right and 2 Era 100s/300s/Fives as rear surrounds. I do understand that this may just be impossible considering my minuscule purview of audio engineering/software capabilities. Just my thoughts and audio wanderlust. 

In keeping with the topic of the post, I would also like to see a refresh of the arc to include Bluetooth, 2.1 HDMI passthrough and DTS:X. 

I think if Sonos were going to allow a soundbar to act as a center channel, you would’ve seen it by now.  They are on their 5th iteration of soundbars, and that functionality has been requested since the first Playbar over a decade ago. 

I am also looking to update my playbar. I'm not going to buy an arc at this point in its life cycle. I have had bad luck in the past with buying and new models come shortly after. I can understand Sonos keeping it quiet as it would destroy sales if a new one is announced.

Yes, the arc probably does everything I need of a sound bar.

There must be many people in my position waiting for the arc2, Sonos marketing must know this. Its interesting they are pushing 20% off the arc. Is there a possible Christmas (or new year) present coming. I'll keep waiting.

Consider the possibility that prices have been increased somewhat this year in order to offer more aggressive discounts.

I know one large company that manufactures a fixed number model units, offers an initial discount period to introduce the product, then sells at the regular price. The model run is usually a year. If all units are sold before the follow-up model is available, the company has maximized its profit. If a few are left at the end, they are discounted for those customers who never buy anything unless there is a discount. The initial and end discounts are planned before the model is introduced. Why wouldn’t the company make another manufacturing run if the model is popular? It’s a large company and assembly lines are booked well in advance and tuned to be fully utilized. If model ‘A’ is so popular that another run is started, model ‘B’ will need to be taken out of production. Plus, parts procurement needs to be planned well in advance. It’s usually not possible to suddenly decide to squeeze another run of ‘A’ into next week’s schedule if parts procurement requires weeks (or more) of lead time or special tooling needs to be brought back and re-installed.

Userlevel 7

@Stone41 

I see you’re in the UK. In the US the Arc as a standalone unit is not discounted; however speaker “sets” are. Sonos  does that type of discount at least twice a year. Given the performance of your currency compared to the USD Sonos is probably a bit more aggressive wanting to boost sales temporarily in the UK.

Userlevel 7

Hello Anyone Who Finds This Thread….

Starting rumors and/or speculatioon about release dates for a Sonos product serves no purpose and only fosters false hope...not to mention elevated blood pressure 😊

Regarding the Arc…

Sonos is not going to rest on its laurels forever. So yes, at some point there will be a new sound bar of some type introduced. It may be called the Arc 2 or something else? I’ll even go so far as to say there's a high probability that the new iteration will have the following features; as it seems to be the pattern with new Sonos speaker products:

• Line-In
  • Bluetooth
  • Security Switch

Beyond that everything else is pure conjecture. My only want would be a slightly improved audio experience for movie dialogue. That’s it. Other than that I’m still satisfied with the Arc as is and would not hesitate to buy one if I had a need/want.

So relax! 😊

Not trying to fuel rumours, just saying it will be my next upgrade. Hopefully, Sonos monitor these threads and see what users are thinking and what they would like to see etc. My Sonos Playbar is great, our house is fully Sonosed up. They just work, without complication. I will wait for the arc2 or the arc replacement and enjoy my playbar and my surround  play1's until then. A sub would be nice though! 

Regarding an Arc v2 or some replacement Atmos home theatre system, the ability to use some small sonos speakers mounted to one’s ceiling would help the Atmos soundfield a lot. Relying on bouncing sound upward from the soundbar itself isn’t the best.

I’m still enjoying my Playbar+Sub+Surrounds 5.1 system but I’m finally getting a new TV and then everything will be Atmos-ready except my sound system.

I’m considering an Arc and sufficient discount might make me do it, but I’d jump at a somewhat updated one (even without the ability to add ceiling speakers) as long as I could still use my sub and surrounds with it.

Userlevel 7

@sonos problems 

What is your definition of a significant discount?